A Quick Recipe for a Spicy Beaten-Rice Snack Called Poha Chivda
This is a very easy and simple recipe that can be made in 20 minutes. You need basic ingredients like beaten rice (thin rice flakes), peanuts, dry coconut, curry leaves, chili powder, green chilies, hing powder, turmeric powder, sugar, oil, cashew nut pieces, raisins, and salt for making this quick snack. The best part is that you can store them in an air-tight container up to 2 months. It is a popular tea-time snack.
Making Rice Flakes Chivda or Masala Poha At-a-Glance:
To begin with, you have to shallow fry the ingredients in some oil, except the masala powders, sugar, and salt. Then mix them with the seasonings, spice powders, sugar, and salt. Keep aside the mixture for cooling. When it cools down completely, store in an air-tight container. Use as and when desired. You can munch them anytime guilt-free, as they are very less in calories.
Spicy Poha Chivda
- 1 big bowl thin rice flakes or thin beaten rice, popularly known as thin poha
- 1 cup peanuts
- 3 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sambar powder or spice powder, optional, gives good flavor
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced dry coconut
- 2 broken dry red chilies
- a fistful curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida or hing powder
- 4-5 tbsp oil, for shallow frying
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sugar or sugar powder
- 1 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 2 tbsp cashew nut pieces
- 2 tbsp raisins
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Beaten Rice Snack
- Heat few drops of oil in a thick-bottomed deep pan. Let the heat be very low. Dry fry rice flakes just for a while to make it crispy. Fry them in batches. Take care that the flattened rice doesn't burn in the bottom and doesn't break. Alternatively, you can toss them for a few seconds to make crunchy. Spread on a plate for cooling.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pan. Add mustard seeds and broken red chilies. Let mustard pop up. Throw in curry leaves. Saute till they become crunchy.
- Add peanuts. Saute till they become crispy. It takes about 2-3 minutes on low fire.
- Add in sliced dry coconut. Fry till they turn golden. Add cashew nut pieces and raisins. Saute for a few seconds or till cashew nut changes its color and raisins become round.
- Transfer the contents to a plate, leaving the extra oil in the pan.
- Add slit green chilies. Roast for a while. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, spice powder(optional), hing powder, sugar, and salt. Turn off the fire. Stir them.
- Add back the contents on the plate. Mix with the spices. Add fried rice flakes little by little and gently mix with the seasonings and the spices.
- Spicy beaten rice snack or poha chivda is ready to eat! Store them in an air-tight container when it cools down completely.
- Enjoy munching this low-calorie snack whenever you desire without feeling guilty.
Nutritional Information of Spicy Poha Chivda
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 410 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|