Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
Tomatillos are a variety of tomatoes with a tart flavor, making them a great choice for verde (green) sauces. This sauce is differentiated from other green sauces by the addition of green ancho chili powder. We roast one of the jalapeños, and leave the other raw to give this sauce a bite.
- 4 Tomatillos, Husk Removed, Rinsed
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Skin on
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 2 Jalapeños
- 1/2 Lime Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Handful Cilantro
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F, and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Lightly coat the tomatillo, garlic, 1 of the jalapeños, and onion with the olive oil. Roast for 10 minutes, then remove the garlic. Return the remaining veggies to the oven and continue to roast 10 additional minutes. Watch to make sure they do not burn.
- Remove any stems from the tomatillos and pepper. Remove the skin from the onion. Put all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. Serve warm or refrigerated.
Rate This Recipe
© 2017 Melissa Althen