How to Make Chutney Potato Ball Appetizers
An Overview of Making Chutney Potato Balls
This appetizer snack has a round shape. It is stuffed with a spicy green filling. For making them, you have to prepare a dough with boiled and mashed potatoes, soaked rice flakes, carom seeds, red chili powder, garam masala powder, paneer, and salt. The stuffing is made of coarsely ground coriander leaves, grated coconut, ginger, green chilies, garlic, and salt.
Further, divide the dough into lemon-sized balls. Knead them once again, and make each of them into disc shape. Place some stuffing in the center. Fold the sides and close it such a way that the stuffing is covered by the dough on all sides. Dip this ball into the plain flour batter. Roll it over bread crumbs, so that it is evenly coated with the crumbs.
What next? Heat oil for deep frying. Drop 2-3 such stuffed balls into the medium hot oil. Fry them till golden brown. Turn them at intervals to ensure uniform cooking. Take them out with a slotted spoon. Place on a tissue paper. Repeat the process for all the balls.
Serve hot chutney potato balls with tomato sauce. They are awesome even without any accompaniment as they have chutney inside. Let me share the detailed recipe now.
- 1 cup boiled potato, mashed
- 1/2 cup flattened rice(rice flakes), soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup paneer, grated
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, Available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut, for the chutney(stuffing)
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or a small piece of soaked tamarind
- oil for frying
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
Step-By-Step Instructions and Photos Showing Making of Chutney Potato Balls
- Boil potato. Finely mash it, so that there is no lump.
- Mix plain flour with 1/4 cup water. The mix should be thin. Keep aside.
- Take chopped coriander leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic, grated coconut, tamarind or lemon juice, and salt in a mixer grinder. Get a coarse dry paste. No need to add water. This is the stuffing for the balls.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add mashed potato, grated paneer, mashed flattened rice, garam masala powder, red chili powder, crushed carom seeds, and salt. Knead them to form a firm dough. Rest it covered for 5 minutes.
- Apply oil on your palm and fingers. Divide the dough into lemon size balls. Take one of the balls. Knead it and form a disc. You can make the disc by patting the dough ball on your palm. It should be thick. Place some green chutney(3/4 tsp) in the center. Fold the sides, so that the chutney is evenly covered with the dough on all sides. If you see any gap, cover it with a tiny piece of the dough. Prepare all the stuffed balls.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Take one ball, dip it in the plain flour mix. Then, roll it over the bread crumbs. Press the ball on all sides, so that the crumbs nicely stick to the ball. Keep all the balls ready.
- Drop 2-3 such balls into the medium hot oil. Occasionally turn them to ensure uniform cooking. Fry them till they become golden brown. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place on a tissue paper. Repeat the process for all the balls.
- Chutney potato balls are ready to eat. Serve them hot with tomato sauce. They are awesome even without any condiments. Enjoy eating!
1. Knead the dough until you get a lump free dough.
2. Make the surface of the stuffed dough balls smooth and even.
3. Crush carom seeds before adding.
4. The chutney should be dry. No need to add water.
5. Fry them on medium low fire. Turn them occasionally for best results.