I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Avocado fries are a healthier version of French fries. They taste great, and they're also very nutritious. You can serve these fries with my homemade fry sauce or with any dip of your choice.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
For the avocado fries:
- 2 medium avocados, cut into thick strips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the fry sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon pickle juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 medium bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- cooling rack
- Season the bread crumbs and eggs with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pour the water into the egg mixture. Set aside.
- Start the breading process. Dredge the avocado sticks with all-purpose flour; then coat with egg. For a thicker coating, repeat this step a second time.
- After coating each piece with flour and egg, roll it in bread crumbs.
- Freeze the breaded avocado fries for at least 1 hour before frying.
- Prepare the fry sauce: In a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients and mix until well blended. Set aside.
- After the breaded avocado has been in the freezer for 1 hour, pour a generous amount of oil in a frying pan.
- Cook all of the avocado fries until golden brown in color.
- Serve the fries with homemade fry sauce or with your favorite condiment or dip, such as ketchup.
Tips and Techniques
- Try adding other herbs, spices, and seasonings to make the fries tastier.
- The freezing step produces crispier fries.
- To make the coating process easier, add a small amount of water into the egg mixture.
- For best results, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Make a thicker breading by coating each piece of avocado twice with flour and egg.
- Lay a paper towel on a plate or use a strainer to absorb or drain excess oil.
- Serve the fries with your favorite dip, such as ketchup or mayonnaise.
- To adjust the spiciness of the fry sauce, adjust the amount of hot sauce.
More Fried Snacks
- How to Make Curry Fries: An Irish-Inspired Snack
Everyone loves French fries, but have you tried this version, known in Ireland as curry fries? Let me show you an easy way to prepare this delicious snack.
- Fried Cheese Sticks Three Ways
Fried cheese sticks are all-time favorite appetizer or snack in the Philippines. The crunchy outside and gooey inside make them irresistibly delicious!
© 2020 Travel Chef
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on August 05, 2020:
I have never eaten anything quite like this, and I love this recipe. I think this would be delicious. Thanks so much for sharing it.
Miebakagh Fiberesima from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, NIGERIA. on August 05, 2020:
Dredcaun, I'll try it later in the week. Because I don't have avocado at hand now. Much thanks.