How to Make Banana Flower Cutlets
Banana Flower Cutlets
- Banana Flower – 1, chopped
- Potatoes – 2 large or 3 medium, boiled & mashed
- Onion– 1, chopped
- Green Chillies – 3 to 5, chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, grated
- Garlic - 1-2 pods, grated
- Bread Crumbs – 1 cup
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - ½ tsp
- Chilly powder– 1 tsp
- Oil – 1-2 cups
- Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – handful, chopped
- Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
- Egg – 2, lightly beaten
- Salt to taste
- Remove some of the outer purple petals of banana flower. Then finely chop it.
- Heat little oil in a pan and cook chopped banana flower for 5 minutes by adding little salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder. Remove from fire and keep aside.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a pan. Saute ginger and garlic till it browns. Now add chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves and saute well by adding salt. When it becomes soft, add chilli powder and mix well. Add cooked banana flower and mix well. Add garam masala, chopped coriander leaves, and remove from fire and allow it to cool.
- In the meanwhile,cook the potato, peel the skin and mash it. Add the mashed potato to the banana flower mixture and mix it well.
- Make balls out of the cutlet mix and shape it into oval or round shaped cutlets. Dip the cutlets in beaten egg, coat it with bread crumbs, and fry it in oil. Serve hot with tomato sauce.
- Replace potato with sweet potato or tapioca for variations.
- Add little paneer or cottage cheese.
- Add few bread crumbs to the potato - banana flower mixture before shaping for a crispier version.
- Replace bread crumbs with rusk powder for a much crispiness.
- Those who wish to avoid egg could use a maida (apf) batter.
Do You Know?
- Apply oil in your hands while shaping the cutlets for an even finishing.
- Can steam the vegetables to avoid more water content.
- Can shallow fry in pans to reduce the oil.
- Can be served with mint or coriander or green chutney, tamarind chutney, tomato sauce, etc.
- Serve hot with a cup of Tea or Coffee.
- The actual Cutlet consisted of meat component. But the recipe given here is the vegetarian version.