Crispy Bitter Gourd Pakora or Bitter Gourd Fritters
Crispy Bitter Gourd Fries
I Worried About Eating Bitter Gourd Fries for the First Time. They were Simply Delicious!
People love to eat dishes made of bitter gourd because of the health benefits it has. Though there are many ways to include them in your diet, I believe that making bitter gourd fries is the easiest and the best way to consume them. In this shallow-fried snack, you will not taste any bitterness. As they are not deep-fried, they are healthy too. They are just awesome!
This morning, I made these fries. I used them as a side dish for tamarind rice.
Making bitter gourd fries was truly a fun. It took hardly 17 minutes to make these crunchy snacks. I made fries using one bitter gourd. There were about 20 slices. They were not only tasty but tempting too.
Though they can sometimes be slightly bitter, you want to eat more and more, maybe because of the taste, aroma, or whatever. Just try making them and experience the satisfaction of eating bitter gourd in the best way.
Now, let me share the recipe here.
Ingredients for Making Spicy Bitter Gourd Fries
- 1 bitter gourd, thinly sliced, seed removed
- 4 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp gram flour/besan
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil, I used a non-stick pan for shallow-frying them
- 1 tsp sambar powder or rasam powder, optional, I used. Don't have, use some more red chili powder, rasam powder you get in Indian stores.
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Crispy Bitter Gourd Fries:
- Wash the bitter gourd. Thinly slice it. Don't make them too thin. Refer the pic. Remove the seeds in the center. Keep aside.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add rice flour, corn flour, red chili powder, sambar or rasam powder, gram flour, and salt. Mix them. Adding sambar or rasam powder gives a distinct taste to these fries. If you don't have, use some more red chili powder.
- Add water little by little and make a neither thin nor thick batter. Refer the pic for consistency of the batter.
- Gently mix the bitter gourd slices with the batter.
- Heat a pan for shallow-frying. I used a non-stick pan. If you use a non-stick pan, you can shallow-fry them in less oil.
- Spread some oil on the pan. Place the batter coated slices one near the other. Don't overcrowd them. Refer the pic.
- Roast the bottom of the slices on a medium low fire. Add a few drops of oil on the surface. Flip each of them. Roast the other side also. Add a few drops of oil while cooking.
- Shallow-frying a batch may take about 8-9 minutes on a medium-low fire. Remove them and place on a plate.
- Repeat the same for shallow-frying all the coated slices.
- Crispy bitter gourd fries are ready to munch! Use them as a side dish or snack. Enjoy the taste.
Nutritional Information of Crispy Bitter Gourd Fries:
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 4 mg||1%|
|Sodium 12 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|