Easy Choco-Date Energy Bites
Easy Recipe That Your Kids Can Help Make!
This recipe is so easy that it's a great one to make with your kids! For safety reasons, an adult should operate the food processor, but the kids can do nearly everything else.
This is a healthy snack alternative that everyone will enjoy. Just one or two pieces of this will satisfy your hunger for a filling snack. The recipe does not require any baking or cooking, so you and your family can munch on these snacks in no time. It took me just 20 minutes from start to finish.
- 8 to 12 pitted dates, chopped
- 3 tbsps cocoa butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- 2/3 cup rolled oats (roughly ground)
- Pulse the dates in a food processor, or chop them into small bits by hand. Set aside.
- Pulse the oats in the processor until they look roughly ground (not powder like).
- In a bowl, mix the dates, oats, cocoa butter (or other nut butter), chia seeds and chocolate chips together until they form a ball.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the dough, press together, then roll into a ball.
- Place the balls into a container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before consuming.
- This recipe roughly makes 8 to 10 balls.
Choosing nutritious snack alternatives for you and your kids will surely facilitate your journey to healthy eating.
Below are some of the known health benefits of the ingredients in this recipe. You may want to delve deeper into the benefits of each one.
- Dates: High in fiber and antioxidants. Good alternative natural sweetener.
- Rolled oats: Good source of fiber and carbohydrates. May help lower cholesterol levels, promote healthy skin, and promote bowel health.
- Chia seeds: High in nutrients, low in calories. Loaded with antioxidants and fiber. High in omega-3 fatty acids.
Other Delicious Combinations
I have tried other combinations using the same recipe and they turned out equally delicious!
- cashew butter + semi-sweet chocolate chips + walnuts
- almond butter + cranberries + milled flax and chia seeds
- peanut butter + dark chocolate chips + chia seeds
- cashew butter + toasted white sesame seeds
- cashew butter + toasted/popped sorghum
If you find the dough a bit drier or it falls apart when rolled, just add, a little at a time, more nut butter or honey.
© 2019 Nicky Hunt