Besan Snacks: How to Make Gram Flour Snacks
An Overview of Making Gram Flour and Semolina Snacks
These are awesome and unique party appetizers that stand out from the rest. They are crunchy on the outside and soft inside. Fry them on high to prevent them from absorbing more oil. They are best served with sweet and sour chutney or tomato sauce.
To make this snack, you have to mix gram flour with equal parts semolina flour. Make a thin batter by adding water as needed. The semolina will absorb the water, and the batter will get thick later. Add some more water if needed.
Heat a table spoon oil in a deep pan. Throw carom seeds and cumin seeds into it. Let them sizzle. Add chopped green chilies and crushed ginger-garlic. Saute for few seconds. Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, and kasuri methi. Give a quick stir. Add semolina and gram flour batter. Add salt. Cook on low fire, stirring continuously to get a thick paste. Add a teaspoon oil and bring together the paste as a dough. Turn off the fire. Spread it on a plate for cooling.
Take out a lemon size dough and shape it like chocos or square. Make many such squares. It is easy to shape them applying oil on your fingers. Heat oil for deep frying. Drop them one by one into the very hot oil. Fry them turning at intervals to ensure uniform cooking. Reduce the heat once they are golden brown. Remove on an absorbent paper towel. It absorbs the excess oil. Gram flour and semolina snacks are ready to eat. Serve them with tomato sauce or hot and sour chutney. Enjoy eating these scrumptious starters!
Ingredients for Making Gram Flour and Semolina Snacks
- 1/2 cup fine wheat semolina
- 1/2 cup gram flour(besan)
- 2 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, or 1/2" ginger and 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi(available in Indian stores), or chopped coriander leaves. Kasuri methi gives better flavor.
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- oil for deep frying
- 2 pinches hing/asafoetida powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Gram Flour and Semolina Snacks
- Take semolina and gram flour in a mixing bowl. Add 3-4 cups of water. Make a lump-free batter. It should be thin.
- Heat a deep -bottomed pan or non-stick pan. Add some oil. Throw cumin and carom seeds into it. Let them sizzle.
- Add chopped green chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Saute on low fire till they emit nice aroma.
- Add turmeric powder, hing, garam masala powder, kasuri methi or chopped coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour gram flour and semolina batter into the pan. Add salt. Cook on low fire, continuously stirring. It becomes thick. Add a little oil and collect the paste to form a pliable dough. Spread it on a plate for cooling.
- Take a lemon size dough and shape into square or chocos. Keep ready many such shapes. Apply oil on your fingers to prevent them from sticking while making the shapes.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop many such shapes one by one, into the very hot oil. Fry them turning at intervals to ensure uniform cooking. Reduce the fire once they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove and place them on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the same till you finish making all the snacks.
- Gram flour and semolina snacks are tempting! Serve them with tomato sauce or any sweet-sour chutney/sauce. Enjoy eating these delightful snacks!
Some Important Tips
1. Make sure before frying that the oil is perfectly hot; otherwise, if the oil is less hot, these snacks absorb oil inside.
2. Continue frying on high heat till they become crispy and golden brown.
3. Serve them hot to enjoy the crunchiness.