Gujarati Snacks: Fenugreek Leaf Gota (A.K.A. Methi Fritters or Pakoras)
Methi Pakoras or Fenugreek Leaf Gota
Crispy, Spicy, and Delicious Methi Fritters
Fenugreek leaf, or methi, is a known source of dietary fiber. It has very few calories. It contains iron, protein, phosphorous, vitamins, and calcium. Its unique aroma attracts everyone. Fenugreek dishes are healthy, slightly bitter, and tasty.
Chickpea flour (gram flour) has more calories, protein, carbohydrate, and dietary fiber. It has little fat content. Snacks made of chickpea flour are very delicious.
- 2 tsp semolina, medium size
- 8 tsp heaped gram flour/chickpea flour/besan
- 1/2 cup packed fenugreek/methi leaves, washed, pat dried, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup yogurt or thick curd, medium sour
- 1/6 tsp baking soda or fruit salt
- 3 small green chilies, finely chopped
- a small piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1/6 tsp asafoetida/hing powder
- 1/4 cup or less water, or as per requirement
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, powder or crushed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Fenugreek Leaf Gota or Methi Pakora
- Dry roast semolina/rava in a pan for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Wash fenugreek leaves. Pat dry them. Roughly chop them. Put them in a mixing bowl.
- Add chickpea flour, roasted semolina, yogurt, chopped green chilies, chopped ginger, carom seeds, coriander seeds, crushed black pepper, hing powder, baking soda, water, sugar, and salt to the same bowl.
- Gently mix them. The batter should be semi-solid. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- After that, mix it once again. Don't make the batter too loose.
- Drop a teaspoon full of the batter into the hot oil. Make 6-8 such fritters in a batch.
- Fry them in medium hot oil till they get golden brown. Remove the pakoras on an absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat the same for making all the gotas or fritters. Your favorite Methi pakoras/fritters are ready!
- Eat them hot with a chutney/sauce. You can also eat them with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
- Enjoy eating these hot, spicy, and aromatic snacks!
Nutritional Information of Fenugreek Leaf Gota or Methi Pakoras
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 80 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|