I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
What Is Idli? How Do You Make Spinach Idli?
Idli is a steamed dish made from a fermented batter of rice and black lentils. Each idli has about 39 calories, 2 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 8 g carbohydrate, and no fat. This data clearly shows that idli is very nutritious.
Spinach idli is made by mixing lots of chopped spinach, grated ginger, and finely chopped tender chilies into the normal idli batter. You have to mix them into the batter when you're making the idli. This idli turns out flavorful, soft, and yummy. It is also considered a diabetic food due to its unique properties. It is easy on your stomach. It is low in calories and loaded with dietary fiber, iron, calcium, protein, and other minerals. It is fat-free. You can use spinach idli for weight-loss as well. Let me share the recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 3 cups spinach, washed and finely chopped
- 1 big bowl or container fermented rice and black lentil idli batter, you can also use idli/dosa batter available in Indian stores.
- 1 inch ginger, grated or finely chopped
- salt to taste
- oil for greasing the idli moulds
- 1 or 2 tender green chilies, finely chopped, optional, I used
Step-by-Step Guidelines and Images for Making Spinach Idli
- Take fermented rice and black lentil idli batter in a vessel. You can also buy the idli/dosa batter from Indian stores.
- Add chopped spinach, grated ginger, finely chopped tender green chilies(optional), and salt. Thoroughly mix them. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil. Pour the batter into the mould containers.
- Arrange the idli stand. Keep it inside the cooker or steamer. Steam cook them for 10-12 minutes on medium high fire.
- Turn off the fire. Take out the idli stand. Sprinkle a few drops of water on hot idli. This will make it easy to remove them from the moulds.
- Remove them with the help of a spoon handle when they are not so hot.
- Yummy and super soft spinach idli is ready to eat. Serve them hot with a spicy coconut chutney or with any other spicy condiment. Enjoy the taste!
Some Important Tips
- Idli batter should be thick. Thin idli batter yields hard idli.
- Add chopped spinach, ginger, and green chilies to the batter 5 minutes before making the idli.
- Adding the paste of spinach instead of chopped spinach gives not so soft idli. Hence, finely chop the spinach and mix it with the batter.
- Adding grated ginger and tender green chilies make this idli spicy and flavorful.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on July 18, 2017:
Thanks. It is a healthy and tasty snack, a variation to regular lentil and rice idli. You can very well recommend it for good health.