I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
An Overview of Making Bread Upma
We often have a few bread slices left over in the kitchen. You can make an easy and healthy bread upma using them. The main ingredients for making this dish are: bread slices, onion, ginger, split black lentils (optional), split Bengal gram (optional), tomato, coriander leaves, green chilies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chili powder, oil, turmeric powder, lemon juice, and salt. All these items are normally available in a regular kitchen.
How to make bread upma:
Keep all the ingredients handy. Heat some oil in a kadhai. Throw cumin seeds, mustard, white lentil, and split Bengal gram to it. Let mustard crackle. Add chopped curry leaves, onion, ginger, and green chilies. Saute till onion turns transparent. Add chopped tomato. Cook till it becomes soft. Throw in turmeric powder, chili powder, a little sugar (optional), and salt. Mix well. Add 1/4 cup water.
Let the contents boil for a minute. Add chopped bread slices, chopped coriander, and lemon juice. Gently mix them. Stir-cook for a minute. Turn off the fire. Yummy bread upma is ready!! Serve it hot.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves two people
- 6 slices bread, remove the edges, cut in pieces
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp white lentil or de husked black lentil split, optional, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp Bengal gram split, optional, for the tempering
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, chopped or julienned
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar, optional, no need to add if using sweet bread
- 1/4 cup water
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Bread Upma
- Keep all the ingredients ready.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Throw mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves, de-husked black lentil split(optional), and Bengal gram split(optional). Saute, till mustard splutters.
- Add chopped onion, julienned ginger, and chopped chilies. Stir-fry till onion turns transparent. Add chopped tomato. Stir-cook, till it becomes soft, not mushy.
- Throw turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar(optional), and salt. Mix well. Cook on a low fire for 20 seconds. Add water. Let them boil for a minute.
- Add chopped bread, chopped coriander, and lemon juice. Mix well. Cook until the content thoroughly blend. It may take a few seconds. Turn off the fire.
- Mouthwatering and colorful bread upma is ready to serve. Serve it hot. Enjoy this tasty snack!!
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on May 30, 2017:
Thank you. Even I have used julienned ginger in this recipe. I like spicier bread upma. Hence, I used green chili and a small quantity of red chili powder. Red chili powder adds some color also!
Venkatachari M from Hyderabad, India on May 30, 2017:
A tasty preparation. It is easy to prepare also. I made it one or two times with the leftover bread. I add a bit of ginger also in it and will not use red chilies or chili powder.