Cabbage Fritters (Cabbage Vada) Recipe
Cabbage Fritters or Cabbage Vada
Cabbage fritters, popularly known as cabbage vada, are a perfect evening snack for those cold and chilly days. The combination of split chickpeas (Bengal gram), vegetables, and spices give cabbage fritters a unique taste. It is one of the most sought-after party snacks too.
I used grated carrot, cabbage, onion, and ginger, along with ground chickpeas. You can see that all these ingredients are excellent sources of nutrients, iron, and fiber. Hence, eating these delicious appetizers every once in a while definitely benefits your health and also satisfies your craving for eating the awesome snacks.
- 1 1/4 heaped cup split chickpeas (Bengal gram), soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup cabbage, grated or finely chopped
- 1/8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup curry leaves and coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3 green chili
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 1 dry red chili
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions for Making Cabbage Fritters:
- Wash split chickpeas (Bengal gram) in water. Soak in fresh water for 2 hours. Drain the water. Keep aside.
- Put soaked chickpeas, dry red chili, green chili, ginger, and salt in a grinder. Make a coarse or near-smooth paste. Do not add water while grinding. Transfer the paste to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, cabbage, chopped curry leaves, and coriander leaves to the bowl. Mix well. Check for the salt. Add salt if needed. The batter should be thick, not watery.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Take a lemon-sized ball batter in your fingers. Make a round shape, then flatten it. Refer the pic. Drop into the hot oil. At a time, you can fry 7-8 such fritters.
- Let the fire be medium-high. Occasionally turn the fritters, so that it cooks uniformly on all sides.
- Remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel when they turn golden brown. Repeat the process for the entire batter.
- Cabbage fritters are ready to serve. Serve hot with coconut chutney or with tomato sauce. You can even eat them just like that. I like to eat them without chutney or sauce. Enjoy eating crispy and mouthwatering cabbage fritters!
Nutritional Information of Home made Cabbage Fritters:
|Serving size: 100g|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|