Healthy Snacks: Maddur Vada, a Coffee-Time Snack Recipe
What Is Maddur Vada?
'Maddur' is a place in the Karnataka state of India. Vada means any deep fried spicy snack in the Kannada. It is a popular tea-time snack in Maddur since past hundreds of years.
Even now, you get the best quality vada here. Most of the restaurants in Maddur serve these vadas as a menu item. Hence, this fried snack is popularly called as 'Maddur Vada'.
It is a simple to cook tasty snack that absorbs less oil.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour/plain flour
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup fine semolina
- 2 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 strands curry leaf, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander/cilantro, optional, finely chopped
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp+2 tsp, butter+oil, for the dough
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted, crushed into pieces
- oil for deep frying
Step By Step Instructions for Making Maddur Vada
- Take all the ingredients except 'oil for deep frying', in a mixing bowl. Make smooth and firm dough out of it. Add only small quantity of water while kneading the dough because onion has the tendency to leave some water. Rest the dough covered for 10 minutes.
- Pinch out a lemon size dough. Shape it like a tennis ball. Apply some oil on a plastic sheet/butter paper/silver paper. Keep the dough ball in the center. Apply few drops of oil on your fingers. Press the ball with your fingers, extending the edges to form a thick, round shape. The diameter of the shape should be about 3-4 inches.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop the pressed round dough into the hot oil. Fry both sides, till it turns light brown. Remove on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the procedure for the entire dough. You can fry it two at a time.
- Enjoy eating Maddur vada after 10 minutes. It tastes good even when it is not hot. Eat it while sipping a cup of hot coffee for the best taste and pleasure!!
1. Maddur vada has a unique taste due to peanuts, onion and curry leaves.
2. It absorbs very less oil while frying.
3. It tastes good even when it is not hot.
4. A great snack for camping and picnic. It remains fresh for two days in normal temperature.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Sodium 60 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|