How to Make Ridge Gourd Fries or Heere Kai Pakora
What is a Pakora or a Bajji?
Both pakora and bajji are deep-fried snacks. Normally, they are made of gram flour batter.
Pakoras are formed by chopping vegetables and mixing them with gram flour and red chili powder to get a thick mix. Small portions (about a teaspoon) of this mix is dropped into the hot oil and deep-fried. About 8-10 such fritters are made in one batch.
Bajji is made by slicing vegetables as well. These slices are dipped into a spicy gram flour batter. They are deep-fried in hot oil. People interchange these names often. Anyway, there is not much difference between them.
An overview of making ridge gourd bajji:
Ridge gourd slices are dipped into a spicy gram flour batter and then deep fried. These snacks are healthy and delicious. Ridge gourd bajjis are soft and juicy inside and crunchy outside. You can make them in 15-20 minutes.
- 1 bowl ridge gourd slices, skin removed
- 1 1/2 cups gram flour/besan
- 1/2 tsp or more red chili powder
- 2 pinches hing/asafetida
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt, as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Ridge Gourd Bajji or Pakora
- Take gram flour in a mixing bowl. Add red chili powder, carom seeds, hing powder, and salt. Make a lump-free, smooth, and thick batter by adding enough water. Check for the taste. Adjust accordingly. Keep aside.
- Wash ridge gourd. Remove the outer skin. Slice it. The slices should be neither too thick nor too thin. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Dip the slices in the batter and drop them into the hot oil, one by one. Don't overcrowd them. Let the fire be high in the beginning. Lower the fire when the slices turn golden.
- Turn them occasionally to ensure uniform frying. Fry them till they get golden brown color. Take them out with the help of a slotted ladle. Place them on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the same for all the slices.
- Ridge gourd bajji or pakora is ready to eat! Eat them as it is or eat with coconut chutney or tomato sauce. Enjoy!