How to Fry Arrowhead (Ngaku) Chips
Tasty Snack During Chinese New Year
Arrowhead chips are snacks very popular during Chinese New Year. Vegetable chips deep fried in hot oil, they are a delicious snack for munching while watching your favorite holiday shows on TV. My family can go through jars of this delicious snack so it is much more economical to fry my own than to buy.
- 1 kg Arrowhead
- Cooking oil
- Peel the arrowheads with a vegetable peeler. Keep the stalk as it will be used later to slice the arrowheads.
- Wash the arrowheads removing any bits that may be attached to the stalks
- Slice off the bottom of the arrowhead so that it is nice and flat.
- Hold the arrowhead by the stalk and slice thinly using a mandoline slicer. Holding it by the stalk ensures you don't slice off your fingers in the process!
- Heat a wok of oil. Once the oil is hot enough, deep fry the chips. Put the chips in a slice at a time as they may stick together.
1. Not necessary to add salt as they are tasty enough as they are.
2. When frying the chips you will see the oil bubbling around each chip. Once the bubbling stops the chips are ready to be removed from the oil.
Arrowheads after they have been peeled and cleaned
Thinly sliced arrowhead using the mandolin
Leave on a grease proof paper after frying
More by this Author
Malaysians love their food. The choices for breakfast can range from simple bread to the more spicy nasi lemak with lots of other interesting choices in between.