How to Make Onion Potato Rolls for Appetizers or Snacks
Onion Potato Rolls
A Wholesome and Yummy After-School (or Anytime) Snack
We moms often ponder what to prepare for the children's evening snack. We want it to be both healthy and delicious. Onion potato rolls are one such snack that can please anyone, both kids and elders. They are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Serve these rolls with tomato sauce and green chutney. Or, if you are not in the mood to make green chutney, tomato sauce by itself is a sufficient accompaniment.
Let me show you how to make onion potato rolls.
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, boiled, peeled, mashed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, not so hot, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp saunf (aniseed)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 tsp oil, for making the stuffing
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- oil for deep-frying
- 6 slices white or brown bread, grain breads not preferred
- Boil the potatoes. Peel them. Mash the potatoes such that there are small chunks. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds and saunf (aniseed). Saute until they crackle.
- Add finely chopped onions and green chilies. Saute until onions turn pinkish.
- Add the mashed potatoes. Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, amchur powder, salt, and a bit of sugar. Mix well. Saute the mixture for a minute. This is the stuffing. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the stuffing to a plate. Let it cool completely.
- In the meanwhile, remove the dark brown crusts from the bread slices. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into many lemon-sized portions. Take a portion in your palm and make an oval-shaped stuffing. Refer the photo. Keep ready all the oval-shaped stuffing.
- Take a bread slice. Dip it in water and quickly take out. Place it between your palms and softly press and squeeze the water.
- Now, you have a wet, thin bread slice on your palm. Place an oval-shaped unit of stuffing diagonally in the center. Join the opposite sides of the bread.
- Gently press the bread along with the stuffing, so that the bread covers the stuffing completely.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Gently slide 3-4 rolls into the hot oil. Let the heat be medium-high. Turn the rolls occasionally to ensure uniform cooking on all sides.
- Once they are light brown, remove them on an absorbent paper towel. The paper absorbs the excess oil from the rolls.
- Repeat the same to make all rolls. Now, soft and crunchy onion potato rolls are ready to serve!
- Serve two of them in a plate with tomato sauce and green chutney. Enjoy the taste! You can eat them as they are, even without a side dish. They are extremely delicious snacks.
Nutritional Information of Onion Potato Rolls
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 42 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|