I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Fried chicken wings are an enormously popular appetizer. There are so many fantastic variations out there, but one of the most popular is the buffalo wing. It's crunchy, spicy, and delicious. What's not to love?
These wings are best eaten with fresh vegetable sticks or paired with rice. Try this easy-to-make recipe at home!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 to 4 servings
For the chicken marinade:
- 8 chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
Read More From Delishably
For the breading mixture:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the buffalo sauce:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce
- Combine all of the breading ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, marinate the chicken wings with fish sauce and lemon juice for 2 hours (or up to a day).
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, dip each piece of marinated chicken into the bowl of the breading mixture so that it is well covered.
- Fry the chicken wings in batches.
- Line a plate with paper towels, or use strainer and a bowl, to drain the excess oil. Set aside.
- In a different pan, heat a small amount of oil. Add butter and hot sauce.
- Allow it to simmer. Once it begins to bubble, immediately turn off the heat.
- Quickly toss the breaded chicken in the buffalo sauce mixture.
- Serve while still hot.
Tips and Techniques
- Be careful when adding hot sauce. Certain brands are spicier than others! Add the hot sauce little by little and check for taste.
- Pair the buffalo chicken wings with vegetable sticks or rice.
- Rather than using lemon juice in the marinade, try lime or calamansi.
- Maintain the oil temperature by frying the chicken wings in batches.
- Buy store-bought chicken breading for easier preparation.
Another Easy Chicken Appetizer
- How to Make Homemade Chicharrón Piel de Pollo (Fried Chicken Skins)
Enjoy chicharrón piel de pollo as a snack or appetizer in the comfort of your home. This is my easy-to-follow recipe for making this tempting dish.
© 2020 Travel Chef