How to Cook Crispy Eggplant Fries
French fries, also called chips or finger chips, are one of the most popular snacks worldwide. Of course, everyone knows that French fries are made by deep-frying potatoes, but did you know you could make a healthier version with eggplant? Let me show you how to make delightfully satisfying and crispy eggplant fries.
- 3 large eggplants, cut into sticks
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 medium bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- cooling rack
- Season the bread crumbs and eggs with salt and pepper.
- Pour the water into the egg mixture. Set aside.
- Start the breading process. Dredge the eggplant sticks with all-purpose flour; then coat with egg. For a thicker coating, repeat this step a second time.
- After coating each piece with flour and egg, roll it in bread crumbs.
- Freeze the breaded eggplant fries for at least 1 hour before frying.
- After 1 hour in the freezer, pour a generous amount of oil in a frying pan.
- Cook all of the eggplant fries until golden brown in color.
- Serve the fries with your favorite condiment or dip, such as ketchup.
Video: Crispy Eggplant Fries
Tips and Techniques
- To make the coating process easier, add a small amount of water into the egg mixture.
- Try adding other herbs, spices, and seasonings to make the fries tastier.
- Make a thicker breading by coating each piece of eggplant twice with flour and egg.
- The freezing step produces crispier fries.
- For best results, do not overcrowd the pan.
- Lay a paper towel on a plate or use a strainer to absorb or drain excess oil.
- Serve the fries with your favorite dip, such as ketchup or mayonnaise.
More Delicious Eggplant Recipes
- How to Cook Poqui Poqui: A Filipino-Inspired Dish
Do you enjoy eating scrambled eggs? Try this healthy version of poqui poqui, a popular regional dish from the northern part of the Philippines.
- How to Cook Cheesy Ensaladang Talong (Eggplant Salad)
Try this cheesy ensaladang talong, a Filipino eggplant salad!
© 2020 Travel Chef