I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Chicken lollipops are a popular fried hors d'oeuvre or appetizer. They are commonly served with sauce on the side or are immediately tossed in a sauce. Check out my step-by-step procedure on how to make this famous dish.
The chicken wing consists of three parts: the drumette, or the drumstick-like portion; the wingette, or the middle portion; and the tip. The drumette and the wingette are the parts that are used to make chicken lollipops. The meat of the drumette and wingette can be formed into a ball at the bottom part of the bone. The lollipops are then breaded and fried.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 medium bowls
- 2 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- chef's knife
- paring knife
- frying pan
For the chicken and marinade:
- 4 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
For the breading:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Tartar sauce, store-bought, as a dip
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken Wings
- Find the connection between the wingette and tip (the smaller part) of the wings.
- Snap it once to break the joints.
- Separate each piece by running a chef's knife in between.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for all the wings.
- Look for the smaller bone of the wingette.
- Use the tip of a paring knife to release the meat attached to the upper part of the bone.
- Start pulling the bone upwards and pushing the meat downwards. Do this procedure while twisting the bone.
- Make sure to carefully remove the smaller bone to avoid bruising the meat.
- Start working on the larger bone of the wingette.
- Again, use the tip of a paring knife to release the meat attached to the upper part of the bone.
- Then start pulling the bone upwards and pushing the meat downwards. Stop when the meat has reached the halfway point.
- Mold the chicken meat into a golf ball–sized lollipop.
Photo Guide: Chicken Wings
Preparing Chicken Lollipops Step-by-Step Procedure
Step 2: Marinate, Bread, and Fry
- Marinate the chicken lollipops with fish sauce and lemon juice for about four hours (or a day).
- After marinating the chicken lollipops, coat each piece in the breading. Follow this simple breading procedure: flour, egg, flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. Compact the breading to prevent it from falling apart.
- Arrange the breaded lollipops on a plate and place the plate in the freezer.
- Remove chicken wings from the freezer.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Start frying the chicken wings in batches.
- Line a plate with paper towels, or use strainer and a bowl, to drain excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite sauce.
Tips and Techniques
- Buy whole chicken wings with the attached drumettes, if available. The drumette is the small drumstick-like part of a chicken wing.
- Save the tips of the chicken wings. They can be used for making chicken stock.
- Taste the marinade before using it.
- Adjust the amount of lemon juice if the taste is too strong.
- Serve chicken lollipop with homemade tartar sauce or aioli sauce.
- Eat as it is or serve with rice or pasta.
- Pair chicken lollipop with any cold alcoholic drink.
- Never throw away the tips of the chicken wings. Use the tips as an ingredient in a different recipe, or simply use them to make a soup stock.
- The best way to achieve moist and crispy fried foods is to freeze it before frying.
- Fry foods in batches to avoid dropping the oil temperature. Maintaining a constant and high temperature will cook the foods properly.
Chicken Lollipops Step-by-Step Procedure
Another Chicken Wings Recipe
- How to Make A&W Rootbeer Chicken Wings
Have you ever tried to enjoy your chicken wings with your favorite root beer? Make it possible by following my step-by-step procedure on how to make A&W root beer chicken wings.
© 2019 Travel Chef