I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
A Heavenly Teatime Snack or Party Appetizer
It is a heavenly experience to indulge in hot fried potato wedges. They are soft, juicy, crunchy, and extremely delicious.
Generally, potato wedges come in two main styles: salty and spicy. In order to make the spicy version, you need to make the salty ones first. Once you've done that, you can add seasonings such as garlic, sesame seeds, paprika, and dried mixed herbs.
Potatoes are healthy. They can help lower your cholesterol levels, which means they are heart-friendly. They have a good amount of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, and potassium. They also contain certain phytonutrients that have antioxidant activity. Another benefit is that they can help control obesity, since they are a filling food.
In order to make potato wedges, it is best to buy non-starchy potatoes because they absorb less oil.
Let's now learn how to make crispy and delicious potato wedges at home without using an oven.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
A bowl of crispy potato wedges
- 2 non-starchy potatoes, peeled, chopped in thick lengthy wedges
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (maida), for the batter
- 2 tbsp rice flour, for the batter
- 1/4 tsp or less salt, for the batter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp mixed dry herbs, oregano, basil, etc.
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, or paprika
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Wash potatoes and peel the skin.
- Cut each potato in half. Cut each half in two or three equal parts. The wedges should be thick.
- Immerse the wedges in water. Rinse them off. This step will help to remove the excess starch in the wedges.
- Boil the wedges in enough water. Add some salt. Boil until they are 50% cooked. Strain them. Spread the wedges on a plate. Let them cool down completely.
- Mix all-purpose flour, rice flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add water and make a thin batter. Soak the wedges in it.
- Take out each potato piece along with a very thin coating of the batter around it. Place them inside a zip-lock pouch.
- Use the remaining batter for making the wedges next time or for any other purpose.
- Keep this air-tight pouch inside the freezer. You have to keep them in the freezer for at least 1 hour. I kept it overnight.
- Whenever you want to make potato wedges, take the pouch out and instantly deep-fry them in very hot oil until they become golden brown and crispy.
- As the raw wedges are frozen, dropping them in very hot oil makes the oil less hot. This provides a suitable temperature for frying.
- Place the fried wedges on an absorbent paper towel. They are now ready to serve on their own or with tomato sauce or a dip. These hot wedges are super tasty and will melt in your mouth.
- For spicy and garlicky potato wedges, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped garlic and sesame seeds. Fry until they become crispy and golden brown.
- Add fried wedges. Stir together once. Now, add paprika or chili flakes, mixed dry herbs, and a pinch of salt.
- Gently mix the contents, so that the wedges are uniformly coated with the seasonings. Turn of the heat. Transfer the wedges to a serving dish. Enjoy the heavenly experience of eating these crispy and spicy potato wedges!