How to Make Crispy Potato Wedges Without an Oven
A Heavenly Teatime Snack or Party Appetizer
Potato wedges can be found in two main versions. One is salted, and the other one is spicy. For making spicy potato wedges, you have to first make the salted ones.
In the next step, you have to add seasonings, such as garlic, sesame seeds, paprika, and dried mixed herbs.
It is a heavenly experience to indulge in these hot fried potato wedges. They are soft, juicy, crunchy, and extremely delicious.
Potatoes help lower your cholesterol levels. Hence, heart-friendly too. They have a good amount of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B 6, copper, and potassium.
It contains certain phytonutrients that have antioxidant activity. Boiled potatoes are filling. They make you eat less, thus helping to control obesity.
For making potato wedges, buy non-starchy potatoes. They absorb less oil. Immerse the raw wedges in water for a minute and rinse off. This way, you can remove the extra starch in it.
Let's now learn to make crispy and delicious potato wedges at home without using an oven.
- 2 potatoes, peeled, chopped in thick lengthy wedges
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour/maida, for the batter
- 2 tbsp rice flour, for the batter
- 1/4 tsp or less salt, for the batter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp mixed dry herbs, oregano, basil etc
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, or paprika
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Crispy Potato Wedges
- Take non-starchy potatoes. Wash them. Peel the skin.
- Next, cut each of them in half. Cut each halt in three or two equal parts. Wedges should be thick.
- Immerse them in water. Rinse them off. This step will help to remove the excess starch in the wedges.
- Boil these wedges in enough water. Add some salt. Boil till they are 50% cooked. Strain them. Spread the wedges on a plate. Let them cool down completely.
- Mix all purpose flour, rice flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add water and make a thin batter. Soak the wedges in it.
- Take out each potato piece along with a very thin coating of the batter around it. Place them inside a zip-lock pouch.
- Use the remaining batter for making the wedges next time or for any other purpose.
- Keep this air-tight pouch inside the freezer. You have to keep it at least for an hour. I kept it overnight.
- Whenever you want to make potato wedges, take the pouch out and instantly, deep fry them in very hot oil until they become golden brown and crispy.
- As the raw wedges are frozen, dropping them in very hot oil makes the oil a bit less hot. Thus, providing a suitable temperature for frying.
- Place the fried wedges on an absorbent paper towel. You can serve them now as is with tomato sauce or a dip.
- These hot wedges are super tasty and they melt in your mouth.
- I wanted spicy and garlicky potato wedges. Hence, I went further and added seasonings.
- For that, heat a teaspoon oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped garlic and sesame seeds. Fry till both these become crispy and golden brown.
- Add fried wedges. Stir together once. Now, add paprika or chili flakes, mixed dry herbs, and a pinch of salt.
- Gently mix the contents, so that the wedges are uniformly coated with the seasonings. Turn of the heat. Transfer these spicy potato wedges to a serving dish.
- Have the heavenly experience of eating these crispy and spicy potato wedges!
Nutritional Information of Spicy Potato Wedges
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 68 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|