Masala Papad Makes a Wonderful 10-Minute Appetizer or Snack
Food Type: Indian starter snack (appetizer)
Preparation time: 8 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 minute per papad frying
Serves: 6 masala papads
Papad ready in 10 minutes
- 6 store bought papads. They are available in Indian stores. Select the 'Punjabi Masala papad'.
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot grated
- 1/2 cup tomato finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut grated (optional) gives good taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fry papads one-by-one in hot oil, and spread on an absorbent paper.
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl. Keep in mind that the papad already contains salt and pepper in it. Add less chili powder and salt. Taste the mix for accuracy.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of mix on the fried papad. The topping should be spread at the time of eating. If you leave the papad with the topping, it becomes soggy due to the moisture content in the topping.
- Enjoy the freshness of the papad with topping!
Step-By-Step Photo Instructions
Punjabi Masala Papad
This papad is made of urad dal, pepper powder, and salt. It is typically available in packets of 25 or 50. These are papads are dry and can be stored for a few months in an airtight container. There is no need to refrigerate.
You can even roast the papads on a stove or oven. They are both spicy and tasty. You can use papads as a side dish even without the topping. The papads are thin, crunchy, and have a special flavor of urad dal.
We should remember here that urad is a rich source of protein and vitamin B. It has many other nutrients that are good for health like iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, etc.
Masala Papad Is Healthy
This topping has many good vegetables like fresh onions, carrots, tomatos, and coconut. As I mentioned, this dish has urad dal, pepper, and salt. Hence, the whole combination is healthy!
You can fry the papads in advance and can store them an airtight container for later use. The topping mix remains fresh for a few hours if stored in a refrigerator. Just store the papad and the mix separately because you don't want the papads to get soggy.
|Serving size: 28g|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 389 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|