Liza is a homemaker. She has an obsession with coffee and loves photography, baking, cooking, and writing.
Perfect Food for Snacking
Nachos make the perfect appetizer or snack. The first time I ever had nachos it was as an adult; my husband made a plate for us to enjoy. He likes making nachos if we decide to watch a movie at home rather than go out to the movie theater. Now, it has become one of our favorite snacks.
What Are Nachos?
Originating in Mexico, nachos consist of a bed of tortilla chips covered with melted cheese or cheese sauce and followed by a variety of toppings, often including meats, vegetables, and condiments such as salsa, guacamole, or sour cream. Delicious!
Our Homemade Nachos
Usually, we don't use meat as a topping. Instead, we finish our nachos with fresh chopped onion and sliced cherry tomatoes. However, if you don't feel like chopping vegetables, you can simply use store-bought salsa. (I actually like to use both, as I love the sweet combination of fresh onions and tomatoes.) I also like to add a lot of cheese. Finally, I like to add diced olives because my husband loves them.
Thick vs. Thin Tortilla Chips
In my opinion, the best type of tortilla chips for making nachos are thick and round. Thick tortilla chips are sturdier than the thin ones, and I find they don't break as easily when I lift them. However, you are welcome to use any type of tortilla chips of your choice.
Let's see the full ingredients.
For the base:
- 1 (family-sized or standard-sized) bag round tortilla chips
- 1 (family-sized) bag shredded cheese
For the toppings:
- 1 jar chunky salsa (I used a few spoonfuls between layers)
- 1 jar salsa con queso (I used a few spoonfuls between layers)
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 small can sliced olives
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, sliced (optional)
Vegan Option: For vegan nachos, you can buy vegan non-dairy cheese. You can also use plant-based meat, if you like.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking pan with a silicone baking mat or foil.
- First layer: Spread the tortilla chips over the pan equally.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle the chunky salsa, salsa con queso, diced green chilies, and sliced olives.
- Second layer: Spread the tortilla chips following the same ingredients as step 4 and step 5.
- Bake the nachos for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Optional step: Finish by sprinkling the chopped onions and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Serve immediately! Nachos are best while they are warm.
© 2022 Liza