How to Make Gulab Jamun Desserts
Making Gulab Jamun At-a-Glance
Jamun is a popular dessert that's incredibly easy to make. They are kid-friendly sweets. Many young adults make sweet dishes with gulab jamun. They come out perfectly every time if you follow some easy and simple recipe guidelines.
You can get the mix in any Indian store located in your area. The instructions are on the packing. You can even follow those methods to get proper jamun.
To start with, you have to make sugar syrup. For this, mix sugar with water and boil for 10-12 minutes on medium high fire. Stir occasionally. Add some cardamom powder and a few drops of rose essence(optional). Adding this essence enhances the flavor. Turn off the fire. Keep the syrup completely covered.
Now, start to make the dough for gulab jamun. Take jamun mix in a bowl. Add water little by little to make a soft and firm dough. Don't knead the dough roughly. Keep aside covered for 5 minutes. Remove the cover. Grease your fingers and palm with some oil or ghee. Take a blueberry size dough. Keep it on the palm and gently give a ball shape using your fingers. Make 15-18 such tiny balls. Heat oil over medium low fire. Gently drop these balls into the hot oil one by one. Turn them and cook on a low heat till they get dark golden brown. Remove these crispy balls, strain them slanting the slotted ladle on the edge of the pan. Drop the balls into the very hot sugar syrup. Do not cover the syrup vessel.
Repeat making the remaining jamun and dropping into the syrup. These balls absorb sugar syrup in no time and become big in size. Jamun retains crunchiness outside and becomes soft-juicy inside.
Serve jamun after half an hour, in a steel or glass bowl. Serve 2-3 jamun at a time. Enjoy eating delicious gulab jamun! You can store them fresh for a week in a closed container in refrigerator. Make them warm before eating.
Ingredients for Making Gulab Jamun
- 3 1/2-4 cups water, for making the sugar syrup
- 2 1/4 cups sugar, for making the syrup
- 3-4 cardamom, finely crushed
- 1/4 tsp rose essence, optional, gives nice flavor
- 1 heaped cup gulab jamun mix, available in Indian stores. Cover the remaining mix and store in freezer
- water as needed to make the dough
- 1/2 tsp oil, for greasing the palm and the fingers
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Gulab Jamun
- Making Sugar Syrup: Mix water and sugar as per instructions. Stir it occasionally and boil for 10-12 minutes over medium high heat. The mix changes into a little yellowish. Add crushed cardamom powder and a few drops of rose essence. Turn off the heat. Keep it properly covered till you drop jamun into it.
- Making the dough: Take jamun mix in a mixing bowl. Softly knead adding water little by little. Get a soft and firm dough. Keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- Open the cover. Apply some oil on your palm and fingers. Take a blueberry size dough. Keep it on your palm and make a ball, gently pressing it. Make 15-18 such balls.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop the balls into the medium low hot oil. Fry them turning occasionally to get uniform color. Fry till they become dark golden brown.
- Remove them with a slotted ladle and strain the excess oil by holding slanting for a while, the ladle touching the edge of the pan.
- Drop the balls into the hot sugar syrup. Now, do not cover the sugar syrup. Let jamun absorb the sugar syrup.
- Repeat the same for making remaining jamun. Keep aside jamun for 30 minutes. By this time, jamun absorb sugar syrup and become big and juicy.
- Delicious gulab jamun is ready to serve. Serve warm jamun, 2-3 at a time in a bowl. Enjoy eating the mouth-watering gulab jamun!
Some Important Tips
1. Gently press the mix while kneading the dough. Also, make the balls, pressing softly and applying a bit oil or ghee.
2. Keep covered the balls till dropping into the oil, to prevent them from becoming dry.
3. Fry the balls on medium low heat for a longer time to ensure cooking even the innermost part.
4. Let them turn dark golden brown. They will become normal golden brown once they absorb the sugar syrup.
Nutritional Information of Gulab Jamun
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 14 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 9 mg||3%|
|Sodium 36 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|