I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
How to Make Vadas/Fritters From Whole Black Lentils With Skin
Black lentils are a good source of protein, fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins, and iron. The lentils that still have their husks have an abundant amount of fiber. Making vadas/fritters using these legumes is simple and easy. Though these fritters are blackish, they are appetizing, crunchy, and flavorful.
To start with, you have to soak these lentils in water for about 6-8 hours. Strain, collect the lentils. Coarsely grind them in a mixer grinder adding only a few drops of water if needed. Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl. Add chopped green chilies, hing powder/asafoetida, grated ginger, chopped onion, chopped curry leaves-coriander leaves, dry coconut pieces(optional), and salt. Mix thoroughly and aerate the batter. Rest it uncovered for 5 minutes.
Heat oil for deep frying. Sprinkle water on your fingers. Take a lemon size batter and make a whole in the center using your finger. Drop it into the hot oil. Let the fire be high in the beginning. Make 5-6 such vadas in a batch, depending on the size of the pan. Don't overcrowd them. Turn them occasionally to ensure uniform frying. Reduce the fire once they turn golden. Fry them till they become golden brown. Take them out with a slotted ladle and collect on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the same for the whole batter.
Serve them hot with coconut chutney/sauce. Enjoy eating appetizing vadas!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Ingredients for Making Whole Black Lentils With Husks Vadas/fritters
- 2 cups whole black lentil with husk, washed and soaked in fresh water for 6-8 hours.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated or finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp dry coconut tiny pieces, optional, gives nice taste
- 1/4 tsp hing powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-by-Step Instructions and Images for Making Vadas/fritters Using Whole Black Gram With Husks
- Wash and soak whole black gram with husk in fresh water for 6-8 hours. Strain, take them in a mixer grinder.
- Coarsely grind to get a fluffy batter. Only if needed, add a few drops of water while grinding.
- Collect the batter in a mixing bowl. Mix it well and aerate. Add chopped onion, hing, chopped green chilies, chopped coriander, chopped curry leaves, dry coconut pieces(optional), grated or chopped ginger, and salt. Mix nicely. Rest it open for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Wet your fingers with water. Take a lemon size batter. Make a round shape and a whole in the center with your finger. Drop it into the very hot oil.
- Let the fire be high in the beginning. Make 5-6 such vadas in a batch, depending on the volume of oil in the pan.
- Turn them occasionally for uniform frying. Reduce the heat once they are crispy. Fry them till they get golden brown color on all sides.
- Take them out with a slotted ladle. Place them on an absorbent paper towel to remove the excess oil.
- Repeat the same for the remaining batter.
- Crunchy black lentil fritters are ready to eat. Serve them hot with coconut chutney/sauce. Enjoy eating!
Some Important Tips
- Make a near-smooth and thick batter. Just sprinkle a few drops of water if needed for grinding the lentils.
- If the batter becomes thin, add some white lentil flour or rice flour to adjust the consistency. Adding more rice flour may result in hard fritters/vadas.
- Before adding the ingredients, aerate the batter by beating with your fingers.
- Aerated batter increases in volume and becomes light. This will result in crunchy and soft vadas/fritters.