How to Make Split Chickpea Coconut Sweet Snacks (Kadale Panchakajjaya)
Split Chickpea Coconut Sweet Snacks (Kadale Panchakajjaya)
A Healthy and Delicious Savory Snack
Chickpeas are high in protein, carbohydrates, and dietary fiber. They are cholesterol-free. They also contain vitamins, folate, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and other minerals. Vegans love this legume because it is loaded with gluten-free protein and fiber.
Chickpeas help reduce blood-sugar levels in diabetic patients. They help to build and maintain bone health due to calcium in them.
Kadale panchakajjaya is the Kannada name for this dish. Kadale means chickpeas. Panchakajjaya means sweet dish.
We make it during festivals, especially during Ganesh Chaturti. It is considered as the favorite dish of Lord Ganesha. Making kadale panchakajjaya is one of the best ways to include chickpeas in your diet. This snack is very delicious and filling. You can easily make this flavorful savory snack with only a few ingredients.
Now, let me share the recipe for you.
- 1 heaped cup split chickpea or chana dal
- 2-3 tbsp sesame seeds, optional, I used, it gives nice flavor and added nutrition
- 3/4 cup jaggery powder, if you want more sweetish, add one more tbsp jaggery.
- 4 cardamom, finely crushed
- 3 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Kadale Panchakajjaya or Split Chickpea Coconut Sweet Snacks
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Roast gram dal/chana dal on a very low heat till it turns golden brown. You will now get a nice aroma of these roasted lentils. Transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan, roast sesame seeds on a low heat till they plump and start popping. Add it to the plate containing roasted gram dal.
- Once they are completely cold, pulse them many times in a mixer/blender to get a coarse powder.
- Heat the pan once again. Add jaggery powder. Sprinkle a few drops of water. Let jaggery melt. Turn off the heat. You are heating the pan just for 30 seconds.
- Stir the jaggery mix well, so that there are no lumps in it. Now add grated coconut, crushed cardamom, ghee, and ground roasted gram dal-sesame seeds mix.
- Thoroughly mix them. Your favorite kadale bele panchakajjaya is ready!
- Heating the jaggery is just to caramelize it a bit and also to not have any lumps.
- This heat helps to combine ghee with the other contents.