I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Yummy After-School Snacks
Nendra banana (plantain) is a very delicious veggie that you can use raw and fruit as well. People make chips, snacks, and curry with raw bananas. Ripe bananas are sweet. Steamed nendra banana is very tasty. It is a filling snack for children.
Banana is a good source of calcium, iron, fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Eating a steamed ripe banana gives you good calories and nutrients.
Serve caramelized nendra banana slices to children as an after-school snack. This will surely be a hit among children, as this snack is savory and very delicious. You will also be satisfied that you have fed a healthy snack for children.
Let me now show you how to steam nendra banana and also caramelizing banana slices.
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves two people
Read More From Delishably
- 1 nendra banana, ripe
Instructions for Steamed Nendra Bananas
- Take a medium ripe nendra banana(plantain). Wash it.
- Put it inside a steamer or pressure cooker. If you are using pressure cooker, don't place the cooker weight.
- Place the banana on a porous plate through which the steam passes in the steamer/cooker.
- Steam cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the lid. Take out the banana. Banana peel opens up due to steaming. Remove it completely.
- Slice the banana. Serve as is. This mild-sweet snack is very delicious and filling. Children love to eat this finger food.
- You can serve a banana for two children.
Making Caramelized Nendra Banana
This is one more easy snack that you can make with nendra banana (plantain). Here, you have to caramelize ripe banana slices with sugar and butter. This will take not more than 6 minutes.
Caramelized banana slices are very flavorful and delicious. They are smooth, soft, and tempting. Children love to eat them as these slices are bite-sized, sweet, and savory.
Let's learn how to caramelize ripe nendra banana.
Instructions and for Caramelizing Nendra Bananas
- Wash a medium ripe nendra banana. Peel it. Make 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Heat 1/2 tsp butter in a non-stick pan. Let it heat up a little.
- Add a teaspoon sugar. Saute on low heat till it melts and becomes golden.
- Sprinkle two pinches of salt. Mix well. If you are using salted butter, no need to add salt.
- Now, place the slices in the pan.
- Keep the heat medium-low. Flip the slices once the bottom side gets caramelized.
- Let the other side also caramelize. You can cover the pan for a while for speeding up the process. See that the slices don't burn.
- Caramelizing may take about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove them. Place on a serving plate.
- Your favorite caramelized nendra banana is ready to eat. These slices are enough for two children.
- This snack is very delicious and filling.