How to Make Poutine With Homemade Gravy: A Canadian-Inspired Snack
French fries are a popular potato snack worldwide. There are many different variations of French fries, and they can be served with a number of different condiments, including ketchup, mayonnaise, and vinegar, just to name a few. But unless you live in Canada, gravy and cheese are less common as French-fry toppings.
Poutine is a popular Canadian snack that originated in the province of Quebec. In this preparation, French fries are served with brown gravy and cheese curds. I tried to re-create this dish by using my favorite local cheese. Moreover, I made a homemade gravy.
- French fries, store-bought
- Gravy, homemade (see recipe below)
- Any kind of cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 grams chicken bouillon
- 5 grams beef bouillon
- Pour a generous amount of oil into a frying pan.
- Heat the oil before frying the fries. Begin cooking the fries (follow the package instructions).
- Once the first batch of fries is halfway cooked, remove them from the heat. Use a strainer with a bowl or plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. Set aside.
- Continue cooking the next batches of fries. Repeat the same procedure.
- After finishing all batches, refry all the fries. This time, cook everything all the way through, or until golden brown. Again, use a strainer with a bowl or plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- While waiting for the fries to be thoroughly cooked, start making the gravy. Set aside.
- Assemble the poutine. Place cooked fries on a plate. Top with cheese, then drizzle gravy on top.
- Serve while still hot.
Tips and Techniques for Making Poutine
- The double-frying technique imparts a crunchier texture to fried foods.
- Replace the cheese curds with any cheese available.
- Use you may use a store-bought gravy, if you prefer.
- Longer cooking time is required when using fresh potatoes for French fries.
- Frying under the right oil temperature makes fries less greasy.
French Fries Around the World
© 2018 Travel Chef