How to Make Raw Banana Chips (Banana Wafers)
Banana Chips/Banana Wafers
Banana Chips are Anytime Snacks!
Homemade banana chips are healthy and delicious. They are good teatime snacks. I make these crispy fries during the winter and for rainy days. They're the perfect cold-day pick-me-up.
Banana chips can be made very quickly. You have to peel them and deep-fry the slices in oil till crispy. Spice them up by sprinkling some salt and pepper on them. Store them in an air-tight container. They'll be good for up to 15-20 days after you make them.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
Some Important Information
I made chips with local raw bananas. Kerala 'Nendran' bananas are known for making the best chips. These chips are naturally yellow in color and taste yummy.
I have shared a pic of the same below. If you get them in market, grab to make some mouth-watering wafers. The procedure of making the chips is same.
Chips Made With 'Nendran Banana' from Kerala
- 2 raw bananas
- 3/4 tsp salt, mixed in 5 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Banana Chips/Banana Wafers
- Wash raw bananas. Make 3-4 vertical incisions on the skin. Don't make them deep, otherwise you will damage the flesh.
- Start opening the skin at one end and remove, just like you peel ripe bananas.
- Immerse it in water. This will prevent it from becoming dark.
- Mix salt and turmeric powder with four tablespoons of water. Keep ready.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Slice the banana with a slicer or with a knife. The slices should be neither thick nor thin.
- Drop a few of them into the hot oil. Don't over crowd them. Fry on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn them occasionally. Subsequently reduce the flame.
- When they are three-fourth done, add a tablespoon of salt-turmeric water on the hot oil. You will get a spluttering sound.
- Not to worry. This sound will reduce in a minute. Fry the slices turning occasionally on a low fire till they turn golden brown.
- Remove them on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the same for making all the chips. These chips will be salty.
- Sprinkle pepper powder or red chili powder on them to make spicy chips. Store them in an air-tight container when they are completely cold.
- Enjoy eating them whenever you desire!
Nutritional Information of Banana Chips/ Banana Wafers
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 42 g||14%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 6 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|