How to Make Ripe Plantain Sandwich or Nendra Banana Sandwich
An Overview of Making Ripe Plantain (Nendra banana) Sandwich
We often make spicy sandwiches. But sweet sandwiches are rare and unique. Ripe plantain has a distinct taste and flavor. It is a versatile fruit. You can make a wide variety of snacks using plantains. These snacks are healthy and filling. Plantains are rich source of fiber, carbohydrates, protein, and vitamins. They are easily digestible.
Recipe At-a-Glance: To start with, remove the skin of a ripe plantain. Roughly chop it. Grind to get a coarse or smooth pulp. Heat a tea spoon ghee or oil in a non-stick pan. Pour the pulp into the pan. Let the fire be very low. Stir continuously till it changes from yellow to orange. Add a table spoon sugar, 1/4 tea spoon or less salt, and 1/4 tea spoon cardamom powder. Mix well. Continue stir-cooking till you get a thick paste. Turn off the fire. Collect the paste in a bowl.
Take 2 bread slices. Thickly spread the plantain paste on a bread slice. Top it with another slice to make the sandwich. Grease a pan with a few drops of ghee or butter. Place the sandwich on the hot pan. Let the heat be medium high. Roast till it gets golden brown. Flip it. Roast the other side adding a few drops of butter or ghee. Remove on a plate. Cut it diagonally into two pieces. Serve hot. Enjoy eating heavenly plantain sandwich!
Ingredients for Making Ripe Plantain Sandwich
- 1 medium size bowl chopped ripe plantain, remove the skin, I used one ripe plantain
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tsp ghee or oil, for making the stuffing
- 1-2 tsp ghee or butter, for making the sandwich
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp or less salt
- 1 tbsp or more sugar, as per taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated coconut, optional, gives good taste
Step-By-Step Guidelines and Images for Making Ripe Plantain Sandwich
- Remove the skin of the ripe plantain. Roughly chop it. I used one ripe plantain to make 2 sets of sandwich (4 pieces).
- Grind it in a blender/mixer to get a coarse or near smooth paste. Collect in a bowl.
- Heat oil or ghee in a non-stick pan. Add plantain pulp. Give a quick stir. Let the fire be low. Continuously stir it till plantain pulp turns from yellow to orange color. This may take about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, and salt. Continue stir-cooking till the pulp comes like a ball. Turn off the fire. Keep aside for cooling. This is the stuffing for making sandwich.
- Take a bread slice. Spread evenly 1/2 portion of the stuffing on it. Cover it with another slice. Keep ready the other set of sandwich using remaining stuffing.
- Heat a flat pan. Add a few drops of ghee or butter. Place the sandwiches on it. Roast till they get golden brown. Flip them and add a few drops of ghee or butter. Let the other side also be golden brown.
- Remove and keep them on a plate. Cut them across using a knife. Serve them hot. Relish the taste of scrumptious plantain sandwiches!
Some Noteworthy Tips
1. Plantain pulp has a tendency to stick to the pan. Use non-stick pan to avoid burning in the bottom.
2. Add a few drops of oil or ghee while sauteing.
3. Eat them hot.
Nutritional Information of Ripe Banana Sandwich
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 48 g||16%|
|Sugar 15 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 1 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|