How to Make Vegetarian Fried Wontons
Vegetarian wontons are not only delicious, but they are also nutritious, too, as they have a tasty vegetable filling! These mild-spicy wontons pair well with a hot garlic sauce. If you don't like spiciness, you can eat them with tomato ketchup.
Enjoy! These wontons are truly delightful.
- 2 small cups + 1/2 teaspoon all purpose flour (maida), for the dough, for binding the stuffing
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour, for the dough
- 1 tbsp butter, liquid, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp or salt to taste, for the dough
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded, for the stuffing
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup French beans, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/3 tsp or salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil, for the stuffing
- Make the dough wrappers: In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, corn flour, salt, and melted butter. Mix well. Next, add water little by little and knead to get a smooth and firm dough. Cover the dough with a wet cloth. Set aside.
- Now it's time to prepare the stuffing. Begin by heating the oil in a deep-bottomed pan.
- Add chopped onions, minced ginger, and minced garlic.
- Saute until onions turn golden brown. Throw in chopped veggies. Add some salt. Mix well.
- Increase the heat. Stir-cook them for a few minutes or until the veggies become soft, yet retain crunchiness.
- Add soy sauce, pepper powder, and remaining salt. Saute for 1 minute. Now the stuffing is almost ready.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water in the pan. Add some all-purpose flour. Stir the mixture well. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the stuffing to a steel plate.
- Now, divide the dough into many small lemon-sized balls. Take one such ball. Make a thin disk with the help of a rolling pin.
- Place a teaspoon stuffing in the center of the disk. Fold the opposite edges. Press the edges covering the stuffing. Observe that a small stuffing pouch is formed.
- Pull the open ends and seal them by pressing with your fingers. Refer to the photo for the folding guidance. Set this wonton aside.
- Make 6-7 such wontons at a time. Drop them in medium-hot oil. Fry them, turning occasionally to ensure uniform frying.
- Remove them once they are crispy and golden brown. Place them on absorbent paper.
- Repeat this process to make all the wontons. Serve hot with a spicy garlic sauce (or tomato sauce for a less-spicy option). Enjoy!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 12 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2018 ShailaSheshadri