How to Make White Lentil Pepper Fritters/Urad Pepper Vada
Anjaneyaru Vada/White Lentil Pepper Vada/Urad Pepper Vada
Crispy, Peppery, and Flavorful Tea-Time Snacks
From the day I tasted these Anjaneyaru vada (urad pepper vada) in a temple, I decided to make these scrumptious vadas at home. This peppery vadas are so tasty that you will go on chewing them. White lentils (urad) and black pepper are the main ingredients to make this.
White lentils are one of the richest sources of protein and vitamin B. For those who do not eat meat or fish, you can use black gram or white lentils to get the high dose of protein and vitamins that the body requires. It is good for women too, as it contains folic acid, iron, calcium, and other minerals.
Pepper improves digestion and cognitive function. It has antibacterial and antioxidant quality. It discourages intestinal gas forming.
Hence, these lentil pepper vadas are not only delicious but they are nutritious as well.
This snack is easy and less time-consuming. You can preserve these vadas for a few days, provided you fry them till they are crispy and moisture less. Serve them with coffee or tea to get a heavenly experience!
Here, I share the detailed recipe of white lentil pepper vada with you.
- 1 cup white lentils(urad dal), soaked in water for about 1 hour
- 2-3 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
- 2 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil, hot, for the dough
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making White Lentil Pepper Fritters/Urad Pepper Vada
- Wash urad dal (white lentils). Soak it in water for about an hour. Strain it.
- Put the lentil into a mixer/blender. Add half portion of black pepper corns and hing.
- Grind together, adding very little water to get a thick, coarse paste. Collect it in a mixing bowl.
- Roughly grind the remaining pepper. Add it to the ground paste. Throw in salt. Mix well.
- Heat one and a half table spoons of oil in a small pan. Make it very hot. Pour it on the lentil paste.
- Mix the contents thoroughly. Don't add any water.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Next, you have to make the vadas. For that, take two plastic sheets.
- Apply some oil and splash a little water on one side of both the plastic sheets.
- Wet your fingers. Take a lemon-sized dough. make it round.
- Place it on one of the greased plastic sheets. Cover it with the another sheet in such a way that the greased side of the plastic touches the dough.
- Press the plastic with a flat-based vessel, so that you get a round shaped thin disc. Remove the top plastic sheet. Make a hole in the center of the disc.
- Carefully remove the disc and hold in your palm. Immediately slide it into the hot oil.
- You can fry two such discs in a batch. Keep the heat medium high in the beginning. Once they become crispy, reduce the heat.
- Fry them for a longer time to make them crunchy. In the last stage of frying, increase the heat.
- Take them out with the help of a slotted ladle when they turn golden brown. Place them on an absorbent paper sheet.
- Repeat the same for making all the vadas. Keep them on the sheet till they become completely cold.
- Serve these awesome vadas with tea or coffee.
- Store the remaining vadas in an air-tight container. Use them up to 2-3 days fresh in the room temperature.