Randi worked briefly with a caterer while her kids were young. It was there that she learned to make fruit baskets and decorative sweets.
Any time you plan a party or a shower, it's always nice to use the food you are serving as part of the decorations. I made this watermelon bassinet for an afternoon baby shower. It served as both a refreshment and a decoration.
In terms of how to choose which fruits to use, I suggest that you choose fruits that you like, that are in season, and that you think will look good. You can create many variations with a fruit basket, including a baby buggy, a basket, or a bowl. Use your imagination and creativity.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
This will vary depending on the size of the melon.
- Watermelon, oblong shape is easier
Read More From Delishably
- Wash and drain all the berries and leave them in the drainer. Wash and dry the watermelon.
- Place the watermelon on a cutting board. Draw the lines for where you want to cut it.
- If you have a special cutter that will scallop or make Vs, use that. If you don't, just use a sharp knife. Remember that you will need to cut through the flesh.
- After you remove the top, you can start taking out th flesh. You can use a melon scooper or an ice cream scooper. In the interest of time, I just cut squares and took them out.
- After you have taken out the flesh, you will need to scrape off any remaining flesh from the sides. You can use a spoon or an ice cream scooper. When all the red is gone, clean off the area and leave your melon to dry upside on the cutting board.
- Use a carrot peeler to peel off one side of the melon. Cut this piece off and clean any seeds from it. Put it aside. This will be the baby's face.
- Peel the rest of the melon and clean out the seeds. Cut two one-inch slices to put aside with the head. These will be the hands and feet.
- Cut up the rest of the melon. Cut the pineapple, honeydew and kiwis. Quarter the strawberries, leaving one whole one to the side for the hat.
- Put your fruit salad together and sprinkle with little lemon to keep from turning brown.
- Fill the watermelon with the fruit.
- To make the face, cut small circles into the cantalope to insert blueberries for the eyes. Cut hole for the mouth, which you can fill with a pacifier or as I did, a marshmallow ice cream cone.
- The hands and feet are very easy. I took the two rings and put slight triangle cuts in them to look like fingers and toes.
- I took a strawberry with the hull on and sliced it from the bottom up. I fanned the slices and used a toothpick to fasten it to the baby's head.
- Place the head up near the hood and bury the feet and hands into the appropriate places and... voila.... a watermelon bassinet, complete with baby!
What do you think?
Watermelon Basket Fun
You can be creative and have fun with this. These are the fruits and designs I did but you may want to do yours differently. You can use candy to embellish your basket or even flowers. You can add wheels (orange slices) to make it a stroller and I have seen people add lace to it also. Use your trusty friends, Google, or Pinterest to help you with ideas! Enjoy!
© 2013 Randi Benlulu