Kid Recipes: How to Make Spicy Potato Pancakes
An Overview of Making Spicy Potato Pancakes
They are bite-sized pancakes made of grated potato, chickpea flour, and mild spices. These tiny pancakes have a colorful veggie topping. They are healthy and appetizing. Children love to eat them with tomato sauce.
For making potato pancakes, you have to grate potatoes. Run fresh water on them to remove the excess starch. Squeeze and collect them in a mixing bowl. Add chickpea flour/gram flour, carom seeds, red chili powder, chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, and salt. Mix with a spoon. No need to add water. The batter gets semi-solid consistency. Keep aside.
Now, chop vegetables for topping the pancakes. I made a mixture of french beans, green capsicum, carrots, tomatoes, and onions.
Now you start making the pancakes. Heat a flat pan. Add a table spoon oil on it. Drop a table spoon full of batter on the pan. Spread it a little. Place a table spoon chopped mixed vegetables on the top. You can make 3 such pancakes at a time on the pan. Refer the image. Drizzle some oil on the edges. You can cover the pan for 1-2 minutes. Flip the pancakes. Let both the sides cook nicely. Remove them on a serving plate. Spicy potato pancakes are ready to serve. Eat 2-3 of them when hot with tomato sauce. Enjoy the taste!
Some Important Tips
1. Add Less chilies, spices, and salt to get mild spicy pancakes. They taste awesome with tomato sauce or a green chutney.
2. You can omit garlic in this recipe if you don't like its' aroma.
Ingredients for Making Spicy Potato Pancakes
- 3 medium size potatoes grated
- 3 1/2 tbsp gram flour/chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp or less red chili powder
- a pinch carom seeds
- a pinch turmeric powder, gives nice color
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/8 tsp or salt to taste
- 1 small bowl mixed vegetables chopped, carrot, capsicum, french beans, onion, and tomato
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Step-By-Step Guidelines and Images for Making Spicy Potato Pancakes
- Wash potatoes. Remove and discard the skin. Grate them. Run fresh water on them to remove the excess starch. Squeeze the water. Take potato in a mixing bowl.
- Add gram flour/chickpea flour, carom seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, chopped green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, and salt. Use less salt, as potato and chickpea flour generally show salty in the dishes. Mix well. Keep the batter aside.
- Mix all chopped vegetables like french beans, carrots, tomatoes, onions, and capsicum in a bowl. You are using this mix for topping the potato pancakes.
- Now, you start to make the pancakes. Heat a table spoon oil in a pan. Pour a table spoon or more batter. Gently spread it a little. Top it with a table spoon chopped mix vegetables. Refer the pic.
- At a time you can make 3 such tiny pancakes in the pan. Sprinkle some oil on the edges. Let them cook for a minute on medium low fire. You can cover the pan at intervals. Flip the pancakes. Let the other side also cook till it becomes golden brown. Add few drops of oil on the top.
- Remove them with the help of a flat ladle. Place them on a serving plate. Spicy potato pancakes are ready to eat. Serve them with tomato sauce. Enjoy eating the delicious pancakes!
Nutritional Information of Spicy Potato Pancakes
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 54 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|