How to Make Mangalore Bonda or Goli Baje Fritters
Some Information About Goli Baje or Maida Fritters:
They are tasty tea-time snacks that can be made in 15-20 minutes. Tiny fritters are formed with the batter made of maida, yogurt, grated ginger, chopped green chilies, chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves, chopped onion, cumin seeds, cooking soda, and salt. These ingredients are combined in a mixing bowl to get a loose and thick batter.
A teaspoonful batter is dropped into the hot oil. You can use your fingers for making the fritters. These fritters are porous inside with a crunchy outer shell. They are light and very tempting. People serve them hot with coconut chutney. They are a regular tea-time snack in Mangalore. Hence, they are also known as "Mangalore Bonda" or "Mangalore Bajji".
Though maida/plain flour is not considered beneficial for health, once in a while you can indulge in eating mouth-watering snacks like this to satisfy your taste buds. If you look at the other ingredients used in the recipe, most of them are good for health. Go ahead and give a try to these yummy fritters!
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour/maida
- 1/2 cup curd/yogurt, or sufficient curd to make batter, moderately sour
- 1/4 tsp fruit salt or cooking soda
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Goli Baje or Mangalore Bonda
- Take all the ingredients, except fruit salt/cooking soda in a mixing bowl. Mix well to form a thick batter. No need to add water. Use sufficient yogurt or curd to make the batter.
- Rest the batter for 30 minutes. You can even make the fritters instantly if you don't have time to rest the batter. If you are not resting the batter, increase the quantity of cooking soda.
- Add cooking soda to the batter. Gently mix once. Heat oil for deep frying. Take a small lemon size batter in your fingers and drop it into the very hot oil. Make 8-10 such fritters in a batch. Don't overcrowd them.
- Fry them till golden brown and crispy. Place them on an absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat the process for the entire batter.
- Serve them hot with coconut chutney.
Nutritional Information of Mangalore Bonda or Goli Baje
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|