Making Easy Curd Vada or Dahi Vada/Thair Vada
Dahi Vada/Dahi Bhalla/Mosaru Vade/Curd Vada
Curd Vada is an Anytime Favorite Snack!
Dunking into a soft, spongy curd vada and eating it is a heavenly pleasure. To make curd vada, white lentil dumplings are made with de-husked black gram, ginger, hing powder, and green chilies.
Then, these fritters are immersed in a creamy, beaten salty curd. The vadas absorb the moisture and become very soft and spongy. Finally, sprinkle some red chili powder, finely chopped coriander leaves, and some tidbits like sev or mixture on the top.
This snack is super inviting and delicious! Serve them as a party snack or as a side dish for lunch or dinner.
Now, let me show you in detail how to make dahi vada.
Curd Vada or Dahi Vada
- 1 heaped cup white lentils/urad dal, soaked in water for 6 hours or overnight
- 1 tbsp split chickpea or gram dal, soaked with white lentils
- 3 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tsp green chilies, less hot variety, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot oil, for the batter
- 2 pinches hing/asafetida powder
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 3 heaped cups thick curd/yogurt, beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the curd
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder, for sprinkling on the top of vadas
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- some tidbits, sev or mixture, for garnishing
- oil for deep-frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Curd Vada or Dahi Vada/Dahi Bhalla
- Wash white lentils and de husked split chickpea. Soak them in water for 6 hours or overnight.
- Strain them. Put them into a mixer or blender. Add hing powder and salt. Grind, while adding very little water to get a thick, smooth paste. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Beat the batter with a spoon to aerate. Now, the batter becomes light.
- Add finely chopped green chilies and ginger to the batter. Add hot oil. Mix very well. This will help to make soft and spongy dumplings.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Keep ready a container with lukewarm water. Take a lemon-sized batter in your fingers and drop into medium hot oil. Make 4-5 such fritters in a batch.
- Fry them till they are light golden brown and crispy. Take them out and drop into the lukewarm water.
- Let them soak for 10-12 minutes. Next, Hold each of them between your palms and gently press to remove the excess water and oil.
- Beat the curd with a spoon to make it smooth. Don't use electric blender. This may damage the texture of the curd. Add some salt. Mix well.
- Arrange these vadas in a deep serving plate. Pour a ladle full of curd on each vada. Pour some on the left out area too.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, finely chopped coriander leaves, and some tidbits like sev or mixture on the top.
- Now, dahi vada gets a very attractive look. Enjoy eating this highly appetizing dish.
- Repeat the same for making all the vadas. You can serve dahi vada either normal or chilled. They taste amazing!
Nutritional Information of Dahi Vada or Curd Vada
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 4 mg||1%|
|Sodium 32 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|