Making a Spicy Puffed Rice Snack (Murmura Snack)
Spicy Puffed Rice Snack or Murmura Snack
A Mouth-Watering Masala Mandakki in 5-10 Minutes!
This spicy tea-time snack is an all-time favorite for many. It is the ultimate snack for cold nights while watching television. In India, we get masala mandakki in the stalls near the open-space music concerts or public theaters, etc. Many village hotels serve this as an evening snack.
You can easily make this dish at home. Make sure that you finish eating it quickly, as it may become less crunchy after some time.
You get puffed rice in grocery stores. Just blend the murmura (puffed rice) with a mixture of finely chopped onions, finely chopped coriander leaves, just a few chopped green chilies, red chili powder, grated coconut, and salt. Mix it quickly, adding some coconut oil. If you don't like to use oil, skip it. Don't add any other oil. Coconut oil adds very nice flavor to this snack.
Make the murmura snack right before you want to eat it. It doesn't keep particularly well because it gets soggy. However, you can store masala and puffed rice separately in air-tight containers to avoid letting the puffed rice get soggy. Whenever you desire to have it, mix them together and serve in two minutes!
People sometimes also use fried or roasted peanuts, tomatoes, or lemon juice along with the above ingredients. However, keeping this snack simple is the beauty of it!
Let me share the recipe for making a simple masala mandakki.
- 1 big bowl puffed rice, it should be crunchy
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil, optional, gives nice taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 green chili, optional, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Masala Mandakki
- Take finely chopped onions, green chilies, coriander leaves, crushed cumin seeds, grated coconut, red chili powder, and salt in a wide mixing bowl. Thoroughly mix them.
- Add crunchy puffed rice. Mix quickly while adding coconut oil. If you don't like it, skip this step.
- Serve immediately to enjoy the crunchy and spicy puffed rice snacks or masala mandakki. Relish the taste!