Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Onion Rings Are a Mouthwatering Snack
Often, I make onion pakoras for our evening tea, but on occasion I like to make onion rings instead. Although onion rings take a bit of extra time, in my opinion it is very much worthwhile. Everyone in my family enjoys eating this deliciously crunchy and satisfying snack.
There are many methods to make onion rings. The most popular method calls for eggs, but the recipe I use does not require them.
Serve these crunchy onion rings with a sour cream dip or tomato sauce. Enjoy the taste!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 onions
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (maida), 1/2 cup for the batter, remaining for dusting
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (cooking soda)
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp corn meal (If you don't have, increase the quantity of corn flour)
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or chili powder
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
- Slice onions into 5-mm-thick discs. Separate the rings.
- Set aside the small rings from the middle of the onion. You can use them for other regular cooking.
- Dust each ring with all-purpose flour. Arrange them on a plate. This step is mainly to ensure whether the flour sticks to the rings. Properly dusted rings will help the batter stick.
- In a mixing bowl, add the all-purpose flour, dried Italian seasoning, chili flakes, cornmeal, cornflour, rice flour, baking soda, and salt. Dry-mix them.
- Add milk little by little, and make a medium-thick batter.
- Dip each of the dusted onion rings in the batter. Arrange them on a wire rack.
- Next, dip each of the rings in bread crumbs.
- Deep-fry 6 to 8 rings in medium-hot oil. Turn them occasionally. Fry them until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked rings to an absorbent paper towel. Repeat this process for making all the onion rings.
- Keep them in the open for some time. They will be very crunchy and delicious.
- Serve them with a sour cream dip or tomato sauce. Enjoy the taste!