Quick and Easy Recipes: Popcorn Snacks and Trail Mix
Whether you are looking for popcorn treat recipes for entertaining or just for a family movie night, these quick and easy popcorn snacks will fit the bill. It can't get any easier than using popcorn for a base for making snacks or trail mix with a few added ingredients thrown in for additional flavor.
Popcorn Snack Mix
This recipe is simple, quick and good for you. It provides a flavorful treat that gives you a salty-sweet taste that we sometimes crave. This snack is a good choice to let the children prepare (maybe with a little help chopping the fruit).
- 1 bag light microwave popcorn, popped
- 3/4 cup dried fruit, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- Place popped popcorn in a large bowl.
- Add dried fruit and almonds; toss well.
- Drizzle honey over the popcorn mixture.
- Sprinkle with the protein powder; mix well to coat.
Popcorn Trail Mix
This isn't just for the hiking trail; it can be a welcomed snack along other trails in life such as a long car ride, waiting for a car repair, a trip to the park, a long wait in the doctor's office, and the list goes on. Just pack in a plastic baggie and take along with you. Use it anytime hunger strikes and a full meal is not readily available!
- 1 bag microwave popcorn, popped
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup M&M candies plain, without the peanuts
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- salt to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together until distributed well.
2. Store in zip-lock plastic bags or a large plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid.
Cheese and Bacon Party Mix
For a little more sophisticated party mix, try this quick and easy bacon and cheese flavored rendition. This goes exceptionally well with Margaritas or ice cold beer!
- 1 bag microwave popcorn, popped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke seasoning
- 1/3 cup bacon bits (from a jar - not bacon that you cook)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
1. Place popcorn in a large serving bowl.
2. Melt butter in microwave in a small microwave-safe bowl. (Only takes about 30 seconds).
3. Add liquid smoke seasoning to butter and mix together.
4. Pour butter over popcorn and mix well.
5. Add bacon bits, cheese and salt to popcorn; Mix thoroughly.
6. Serve immediately while popcorn is still hot.
This is a little different and is sure to please your party guests. Serve with some cold drinks to wash down the spicy taste. If you like a really hot taste, add a few shakes of Tabasco or other hot sauce before serving or have the bottle on the table for your guests to add if desired.
- 1 bag of microwave popcorn, popped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup finely shredded American cheese
- salt if desired
1. Melt butter in microwave in a small microwave-safe dish.
2. Add chili powder and garlic salt to the melted butter. Mix well.
3. Pour over popcorn.
4. Add cheese and mix thoroughly.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Add hot sauce if desired.
Halloween Popcorn or Witches' Treat
Call it by either name, it will surely please all of the ghosts and goblins at your Halloween party (grown up spooks too!). It is an easy recipe that is colorful and looks great on your party table or can be served any time of the year.
- 2 bags of microwave popcorn, popped
- 12 Oreo cookies, broken into small pieces
- 1 bag of candy corn
- 1 16 oz. package of white chocolate chips
- Halloween candy sprinkles (like those used to decorate cupcakes)
1. Mix the popped popcorn, Oreo pieces and candy corn together well.
2. Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave until melted completely. It works well if you melt for about 30 seconds then stop and stir the chips. Then microwave another 30 seconds. Continue this process until melted well.
3. Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the popcorn mixture. Stir well trying to get a little of the white chocolate on each piece. The melted white chocolate helps to stick the different ingredients together so when you eat a bite, you get a taste of the different flavors.
4. Spread the popcorn mixture out evenly on wax paper.
5. Shake the candy sprinkles over the popcorn mixture.
6. Let cool for at least 1/2 hour. Break into pieces and serve.
You will need a very large bowl to mix all of this together. You might even need to divide between two bowls to be sure it is all distributed evenly.
Snacks to Go
Budget Friendly Idea
By putting these snacks in small zip-lock bags, they become portable for taking to work for that afternoon slump many of us get. They are much less expensive than buying snacks out of a vending machine. If you are planning a trip, whether by plane or car, tuck a few little packages of these special treats in your travel bag to soothe hunger pangs or for a boost of energy. Going to the movies? Take a bag along in your purse. With just a little planning ahead, you will be pleased with the effort. You can't beat the price and convenience!
Love is Sharing your Popcorn...
— Charles Schultz, Cartoonist and Creator of comic strip Peanuts
Please Vote in our Popcorn Poll
Does your family like popcorn?
How to do you make popcorn?
Do you prefer microwave popcorn or popcorn made on top of the stove?
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Thelma Raker Coffone