How to Make the Perfect Batter Mix and Onion Rings
Onion Rings Recipe
In this article I show you how to make a basic batter mix recipe.
Once you have made it, you can then create great homemade food like onion rings.
Step One: Making the Batter Mix - Ingredients
- 2 large cups Flour, self raising, plain, all purpose
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 cup Milk, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- Few shakes Salt, as preferred
- Few shakes Pepper, as preferred
- Other seasoning
Batter Mix Instructions
- Pour the flour into a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper and any other seasoning you wish.
- Add the two eggs.
- Pour the oil into the bowl.
- Mix in well with a fork.
- Pour in the milk, and mix making sure there are no lumps.
- Mixture should be sticky but not too thick. See photo below.
- You want the batter mix to stick to the food and not run off it.
- Your basic batter mix is now ready to use.
Step Two: Preparing the Onions
- Batter mix as above
- 5 medium onions
- Oil for chip pan
- Cut the ends off each onion.
- Peel the skin.
- Put each one under the tap of running water. This will stop you from getting the vapours in your eyes.
- Slice the onions into medium bits. Some of these slices with come apart especially near the end but you can still use them.
- Heat up the oil in the chip pan.
- Add a few rings to the batter mix.
- Turn over with a fork to cover with the mix.
- Put these into the hot oil.
- Cook until brown which will be less than a minute.
Do not overcook them as you want to use them for freezing. When they are taken out of the freezer for the meal they will be cooked from frozen until brown and crispy.
Step Three: Frying the Onions
- While these are cooking, prepare the next lot.
- Some of the rings will come apart in the batter. Leave them there.
- Have a couple of plates ready to place the cooked onions rings on.
- Continue to cover the onions with the batter and fry them.
- You will have a lot of strips of onion that have fallen off.
- Cover these with the batter, and add to the hot oil.
- These will only take a few seconds to cook as they are smaller.
- Once all the onion rings are cooked, allow them to cool down for an hour.
- Take some freezer bags and add a few to each bag.
- The five medium onions in these photos made enough for three bags of onions rings.
The rings above are quick to make, but they are a little bit messy. The oil will have to be changed after you cook them. But this is the beauty of this recipe. You can make them in bulk and freeze them.
You Can Also Use the Batter For:
- Onion Rings
- Potatoes and cabbage
- Potatoes and onions