How to Make Crispy Rosemary Chickpeas
We love chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans. They have a nutty, buttery taste and texture, especially when toasted.
I've been moving my family away from packaged food as much as possible, including limiting (or forbidding!) all commercial snack foods. This doesn't mean kids don't want to snack though. So I'm on the hunt for delicious, satisfying homemade treats.
This recipe for crispy rosemary chickpeas is everything I want. The kids get something delicious and I know they're eating a much more nutritious food. Winner-winner! Especially since this is inexpensive and lightning fast to make. It can't get any better than that!
Try it yourself - you'll have a great recipe you'll feel good about eating or giving your family, and they'll love eating it!
Have you Tried this Recipe?
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Drain, rinse and dry the chickpeas. Try to get them as dry as possible. I like to spread them out on a plate and pat them with a paper towel. The drying is important - the less moisture, the crispier the chickpeas will get. If you leave the water on them they'll simply steam in the pan, so don't skip that step.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet (I love cast iron) over medium-high heat. Let the oil heat until it shimmers or 'smiles' when the pan is tilted. The higher heat will also help crispy the exterior of the chickpeas.
- Toss in the salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder and cayenne. Stir the chickpeas to get them well coated with the seasonings, then let them sit as they crisp up. Cook them about 10 minutes or so - you're looking for a deep, golden brown. That's it!
- Use the crispy chickpeas as they are as a great snack. Or you can add them to any number of green salads for an extra hit of protein, flavor and texture.
Heat Olive Oil
Drain, Rinse and Pat Dry
Add the Seasonings
Cook Until Golden Brown
A Perfect Snack
Check out the Quick Tutorial!
© 2018 Jan Charles