Spicy Diamond Cuts or Khara Shankarpali Recipe
Spicy Diamond Cuts or Khara Shankarpali (Maida Biscuits)
A Container Full of Spicy Diamond Cuts in an Hour!
Spicy diamond cuts, or khara shankarpali, are my favorite festival snack. It is a yummy teatime accompaniment too. You can make them in bulk and store in an airtight container. They stay fresh and crunchy for about 20-25 days. Use them whenever you desire or serve them to guests with a cup of tea or coffee. These are truly scrumptious snacks.
I made a large container full of spicy diamond cuts in an hour. Let me share the recipe now.
- 3 heaped cups plain flour or maida
- 2 tsp chiroti rava or fine wheat semolina
- 1 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/4 tsp oil, for the dough
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- oil for deep-frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Diamond Cuts or Khara Shankarpali
- Take plain flour, chiroti rava/fine semolina, red chili powder, carom seeds, sesame seeds, butter, and salt in a wide mixing bowl. Dry mix them.
- Knead together, adding water little by little, to make a firm and pliable dough. Apply some oil on the surface, cover, and set aside the dough for 5 minutes.
- Next, divide the dough into 5 equal portions. Take a portion. Gently knead again and make a patty.
- Heat oil for deep-frying.
- Now, start making the diamond cuts. Dust the patty with plain flour and roll into a thin and large disc. Keep the remaining dough covered, so that it won't dry.
- Cut the disc to make diamond shapes by drawing lines across with the help of a diamond cutter or knife.
- Gently drop about half portion of the raw cuts into the medium-high hot oil. Don't overcrowd them.
- They immediately puff up and come to the surface. Turn them at intervals. After 3 minutes, reduce the heat and fry on a low heat till they become crispy and golden.
- Frying a batch may take about 5-6 minutes. Remove them and place on an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the same for making all the diamond cuts.
- Spread them on a paper for some time to let it cool down. When they cool completely, store them in an air-tight container.
- Munch them whenever you desire, or serve them with a cup of coffee or tea. They make the best teatime snacks!
Nutritional Information of Spicy Diamond Cuts
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 175 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|