Suji (Semolina) Spring Rolls With Homemade Wrappers
Spring rolls are a fried dish typically served with a dipping sauce. This Indo-Chinese recipe contains a stuffing of noodles and fresh vegetables that are wrapped in sheets made from suji, or semolina.
To make this dish, you'll need to learn how to prepare the semolina spring roll wrappers. I have included a recipe video below that demonstrates the entire process step by step. It will certainly make the method—which although seemingly lengthy, is fairly simple—absolutely clear. Enjoy!
- 1 cup suji (semolina), use fine semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- oil, for frying
- 1.5 tbsp oil, for preparing noodles
- oil for making spring roll sheets, as needed
- 1 packet hakka noodles, boiled
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp Ching's hakka noodle masala
- maida/all purpose flour, for dusting, as needed
- Add the semolina and salt to a grinder. Grind until finely ground.
- Transfer to a kneading plate and make a very soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- After the rest, knead the dough a bit, using a little water if the dough is a bit firm. Then divide into 8 equal parts.
- Cover 6 pieces with a damp cloth and make 2 pooris (about 4-inch diameter round disks) with the other 2 pieces of dough.
- Apply about 1 tsp of oil on both pooris and then dust them with dry flour. Place one over the other with the oiled sides touching each other and roll out into as thin a roti as possible.
- Heat a tawa/griddle on high heat and place this thin roti over it. Flip it over as soon as bubbles appear on top and remove to a plate when bubbles appear on the other side too. Do not brown the roti.
- When the roti is a bit cool, separate the two by lifting from the edge which is slightly loose. You have just prepared 2 spring roll wrappers.
- Similarly, make 6 more spring roll wrappers with the remaining pieces of dough. Set aside.
- We will prepare the noodles and vegetable stuffing now. Add oil to a pan and heat it. Keep the heat on medium, add the sliced onions and saute for a minute.
- Add the sliced carrot, shredded cabbage, and sliced bell pepper. Mix a few times. Reduce heat a bit and add the Hakka noodles masala and mix well. Stir cook the veggies for about 2 minutes only to ensure they retain their crunch.
- Add the noodles and reduce heat to low. Mix well and stir cook for about 3 minutes till everything mixes well. Remove to a dish and let it cool down.
- We will now make the spring rolls. In a bowl, take some maida and add as much water as needed to make it a thick paste consistency. This is the paste we will use to seal the spring rolls.
- Take a spring roll sheet and place about 2 tbsp of the noodles on the lower half. Apply the glue on the outer edges of the upper half of the sheet. Fold one side and press the glued end. Repeat on the other side then start rolling the open end from the bottom upwards until you reach the top. Press to seal the top glued edge. Prepare the rest of the spring rolls similarly.
- To fry the spring rolls, heat the oil until hot. Keep the heat on high, or a bit less, and fry the spring rolls until golden brown.
- Serve the suji spring rolls with tomato sauce.
Suji Spring Rolls Recipe Video
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly