Snack Recipes: Sweet & Spicy Diamond Cuts (Sweet & Spicy Shankarpali)
Some Information About Sweet and Spicy Diamond Cuts
Diamond cuts are popularly called as "shankarpali." It is a tea-time snack served in Indian houses and restaurants. They can be spicy, sweet, or both together. Pretty much every variety is amazingly delicious.
The dough is made by mixing plain flour with spices, salt, and sugar. After resting the dough for 30 minutes, it is divided into many lemon-sized balls. Each ball is then rolled into a medium-thick, round pancake shape. Further, these rounds are cut into diamond shapes with the help of a cutter. These cuts are deep-fried so that you get crunchy diamond crackers. They can be stored fresh in a closed container for about a month.
- 300 gm plain flour/all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or carom seeds
- 2-3 tbsp sugar, powdered
- 1 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- oil, for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Sweet and Spicy Diamond Cuts Or Shankarpali
- Take all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt, sugar, red chili powder, and cumin or carom seeds. Dry mix them.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Wait until is starts smoking. Pour it on the mix. Combine the contents in the bowl. Add water little by little and knead well to form a hard, pliable dough. Cover the dough with a lid to keep it moist. Rest it for 20 minutes.
- Take out the dough. Make lemon-sized balls out of it. Roll each ball into a thick and round pancake. Cut it into diamond shapes, using shankarpali cutter or a knife.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop the diamond pieces into the hot oil. Fry turning them occasionally to ensure uniform frying. Once diamond cuts turn golden yellow, reduce the fire. Fry them till they are crunchy or till they get biscuit color.
- Remove them on an absorbent paper sheet.
- Repeat the procedure for all the dough balls. Collect them in a container. Close the lid when they are no longer hot.
- Eat these sweet and spicy diamond cuts for tea-time snack. Enjoy the yummy taste!
Nutritional Information of Sweet and Spicy Diamond Cuts Or Shankarpali
|Serving size: 1 cup or 20 pieces|
|Calories from Fat||360|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 40 g||62%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 50 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|