Teach Kids to Cook with 5 Family-Fun Recipes
Fun Recipes for Kids to Make
If you are interested in teaching your kids how to cook, I suggest starting off with family fun recipes that they will enjoy making. I have learned with my own children that they are more likely to try out new foods if they have a hand in making them. Make it a weekly family tradition and create some healthy dishes the whole family will love.
So what are you waiting for? Grab the kids and try out these 5 family fun recipes that my boys really enjoyed creating in our kitchen!
Strawberry Lemonade SlushClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make a Strawberry Lemonade Slush
If you love a real fruit lemonberry slush from Sonic, let your kids try out this homemade strawberry lemonade slush recipe. This family fun recipe teaches your children how to measure out ingredients and provides a good introduction on how to use a blender.
Serve in fun glasses and garnish with fresh strawberries. This slush is the perfect treat for those hot summer days. Here is a list of ingredients and step by step instructions for how to make this refreshing slush recipe:
1/2 cup sweetened lemonade mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
3 cups of ice
Fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
- Pour lemonade mix, water, ice, and 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries into blender.
- Cover and blend on high for 10 seconds.
- Open and stir with spoon.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- Serve in festive glasses and add fresh strawberry garnish if so desired.
- Store any leftover slush in an air tight container in freezer.
Nutritional Value - Sonic Lemonberry Slush vs. Homemade Slush
Sonic Lemonberry Slush
Peanut Butter and Banana WrapsClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make a Peanut Butter and Banana Wrap
Another great recipe to teach your kids how to cook is the quick and easy peanut butter and banana wrap. Now you usually don't want your children to use a knife, but in this recipe they will learn the concepts of spreading and cutting with a safe to use butter knife.
Be sure to go over how to hold the knife and why it is so important to keep their fingers out of the way while they are cutting. Here is a list of what food you will need and how to make this delicious wrap:
- Place the flour tortillas on a paper towel and warm in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Spread peanut butter on each tortilla with a butter knife.
- Slice bananas and line down the center of the tortilla.
- Pour honey over the sliced bananas if desired.
- Wrap both sides for easy handling while eating.
Pepperoni and Pineapple Mini PizzasClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make a Mini Pizza
This next kid-friendly recipe is one that my boys really enjoy making. Personalized mini pizzas made from canned biscuits are super easy to make and your kids will love the chance to use a rolling pin to spread out the dough. They will also enjoy choosing their own toppings so be sure to set out a few healthy options.
For this batch of mini pizzas, I wanted my boys to try out pineapples as a pizza topping. Here is the recipe for our mini pepperoni and pineapple pizzas:
- Canned biscuits
- Pizza sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Diced pineapples
- Preheat oven to temperature stated on biscuit can.
- Spread biscuits out with rolling pin. Use flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to rolling pin. Once done, the biscuit will look like a large pancake.
- Add a spoon full of pizza sauce and spread over biscuit. (I did not have pizza sauce in the pantry so I substituted Ragu spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and nobody could taste the difference.)
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of pizza sauce.
- Add pepperoni and pineapple toppings (or any other desired toppings) on top of cheese.
- Bake in oven according to time on biscuit can. Pizzas will be ready once the cheese is fully melted.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Cinnamon NachosClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
To make the cinnamon sugar mixture, mix together 2 tablespoons of sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Store any leftovers in a small, air tight container with lid. If stored properly, this mixture will be good for 6 months.
How to Make Cinnamon Nachos
Another family fun recipe my kids love is a snack they have named cinnamon nachos. This delicious snack was inspired by our love of the Mexican dessert sopapilla. For this recipe, we used a triangle and star shaped cookie cutter to cut fun shapes out of the tortillas.
Serve this tasty snack with fresh fruit and either a scoop of ice cream or vanilla yogurt. These nachos are also quite delicious dipped in honey. Either way, you can't go wrong with this one! Below is a list of ingredients and directions for how to make our cinnamon nachos:
- Flour tortillas
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- Cooking spray
- Fresh fruit, ice cream, yogurt, or honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds.
- Cut fun shapes using cookie cutters.
- Lay on baking pan and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve with fresh fruit, ice cream, yogurt, or honey if desired.
Wagon Wheel BiscuitsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cinnamon Fun Facts Quizview quiz statistics
How to Make Wagon Wheel Biscuits
Wagon wheel biscuits are another fun recipe for children to make. These biscuits are great for breakfast or perfect for an after school snack. Again, the kids will get to test out their skills with the rolling pin and will also learn how to carefully sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture.
For this recipe, you will need a small triangle cookie cutter or knife to cut out the spokes of the wagon wheels. We also used a star cookie cutter to cut out sheriff badges with the leftover biscuit dough. Here is a list of ingredients and directions to make this delicious recipe:
- Canned biscuits
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- Hershey kisses (optional)
Preheat oven to temperature on biscuit can.
Spread out the biscuits with rolling pin to large pancake size. Use flour as needed to prevent sticking.
Use small triangle cookie cutter (or knife) to cut out the spokes of the wheel.
Remove the triangles and bake separately or combine all triangles and cut out other fun shaped biscuits.
Brush on melted butter to top of biscuits.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
Bake in oven according to directions on package or until they are golden brown.
If desired, add a Hershey kiss to center of wheel and enjoy!
Family Fun Recipe Poll
Which family fun recipe are you going to try first?
Teaching Kids to Cook
As you can see, my boys really enjoyed creating these 5 family fun recipes. Even though both of my boys are very picky eaters, they tried out new foods because they had a hand in making them. Teaching your kids how to cook is a great way to spend some quality family time while creating yummy new dishes that the whole family will love!
I hope you have found some fun recipes that your kids will enjoy making. Do you have any other yummy dishes that your children have created? Are you going to make one of the five family fun recipes above? Feel free to share your ideas and comments in the section below. Hope your kids enjoy the recipes!