Writing is one of my several hobbies, and lists like the one below help me with writer's block every now and again.
Guilty Pleasure Foods Are a Way of Life
Guilty pleasure foods and comfort foods are often eaten to relieve stress or after hard day's work. It is food that makes us feel better and heal us in a psychological way. Now, technically, any kind of food (healthy or not) will do this, but there's just something about eating something that you really enjoy to get you through difficult times.
Now I will admit that the motivation for me making a list of comfort foods like this is completely selfish. I like to write in my spare time and lists like this really save on time when doing character development. Of course, most people already know what comfort food they enjoy most, so they really can't use a list like this, but if you're a writer coming up with ideas for a story, you should find this list of high calorie foods quite useful. If, however, you're just a regular person looking for new ideas for sweet treats to try for the first time, that's OK too. Enjoy the article, and remember, moderation is key when eating foods that is "bad" for you.
Guilty Pleasure Snacks
- Hostess Twinkies: This treat has a cult following. I don't really like them myself, but I know a lot of people who would have my hide if I left them off this list... my niece loves them deep fried.
- Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies: The regular-sized versions are the best, as the larger ones have too much filling in them.
- Popcorn: This snack probably wouldn't be that bad for you if you only ate the popcorn by itself, but who doesn't love that stuff with extra butter and salt while watching a movie? Not me.
- White sugar: This is some of the worst stuff to consume, so they say, but man, it makes some foods 10 times better . . . strawberries and cereal are two of them.
Retro Candies of the 1920s–1940s
|Candy From the '20s||Candy From the '30s||Candy From the '40s|
Peanut Butter Bars
Good News Bar
5th Avenue Bar
Baby Ruth Candy Bar
Kit Kat Bar
Popular Guilty Pleasure Foods
It's so funny when you hear a celebrity that you're a fan of likes some of the same comfort food as you. We are all human beings, and it seems to me at least that everyone has a favorite snack or favorite guilty pleasure food that they allow themselves to enjoy every once in a while.
Old-Time Candies From the 1950s–1970s
|Candy From the '50s||Candy From the '60s||Candy From the '70s|
Fruit Stripe Gum
Bonomo's Turkish Taffy
Pez Candy and Dispenser
100 Grand Bar
Chocolate Gold Coins
Food That Is So Not Good for You (But Tastes Great)
- Bakery cookies make for great tasty treats if you take them home, put them in the oven at a low temperature to make them just a little more crunchy then eat them while warm.
- Gas station hot dogs are a staple for me after doing any kind of hard labor. The wax-like paper that the hot dog is wrapped in makes it sweat a little, which gives it a really soft texture. They taste wonderful with a small bag of chips and a cold Coke.
- Mayonnaise is one of those foods that may not seem like a guilty pleasure, but if you're a sandwich eater and use it all the time, then not having it really make the sandwich a lot less good.
Chicken Nuggets: One of the Best Snack Foods of All Time
The above video shows you how to make really good chicken nuggets at home, but let's be honest, it's so easy (and cheap) to pick these great snacks up at almost any fast food restaurant. The good thing about the ones made today is that they taste quite a bit better than those made in the olden days. If you can eat them just out of the fryer or oven, they taste even better. Chicken nuggets really are one of the best snack foods for road trips.
Read More From Delishably
Holiday Treats That People Love
- Cadbury Creme Eggs: I don't care what anyone says, they are smaller than they used to be.
- Candy Conversation Hearts: Cute and dirty versions exist.
- Chocolate-Covered Cherries: I spit out the cherries and eat the rest.
- Christmas Tree Cakes: The white vanilla flavor by Little Debbie are the best.
- Marshmallow Peeps aren't just for Easter anymore. You can also find ghosts and pumpkins for Halloween and snowmen for Christmas. I love that they come in small, cheap packages with just enough in them to satisfy your craving for them.
- Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, Trees, Pumpkins, etc.: These taste so much better than normal Reese's Cups, and I don't know why. Put them in the refrigerator until chilled and they taste even better.
Favorite Comfort Foods That People Crave
Gravy (all types)
Chicken Fried Steak
Whipped Cream in a Can
Planters Salted Peanuts
The Ultimate Guilty Pleasure Food: Doughnuts!
Doughnuts are truly one of the most addictive treats I've ever had the pleasure of eating (if you can eat them at all—some can't). It's very hard for me to eat just one, especially if I'm hungry. Doughnuts are one of those foods I can easily pig out on if there is a plate or box in front of me, but I don't usually go searching for them. My favorite doughnut is the cruller.
Kinds of Doughnuts
Guilty Pleasure Treats From Around the World
- Bamba is an Israeli peanut-butter flavored puffy snack that has been extremely popular since the 1960s.
- Poutine is a Canadian dish made up of french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. A simple treat that's kind of hard to find outside of Canada for some reason.
- Tiramisu is one of the more popular desserts that is on the menu of a lot of restaurants. It originated from Italy and it's made up of coffee-soaked sponge fingers topped with sugar and cocoa.
Favorite Ice Cream Flavors
Mint Chocolate Chip
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Cookies and Cream
Pralines and Cream
More Unhealthy Foods That Taste Really Good
- Canned Cheese (also known as Easy Cheese) makes for a tasty snack, but only if squirted on some of those round Ritz Crackers.
- Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich: What usually makes one of Elvis's favorite meals really bad for you is the butter to grill the bread and the bacon. If you've never tried one, you're missing out on some good eats.
- Rice Krispies Treats do take a bit of work to make at home since they are so sticky, but are quite a bit better than the ones you buy at stores. That being said, I've also ate plenty of them that I bought from stores.
Modern Candies That Taste Awesome (1980s–2000s)
|Candy From the '80s||Candy From the '90s||Candy From the 2000s|
Caramello Candy Bar
Gummi Peach Rings
Sour Patch Kids
Big League Chew Bubblegum
Jawbreakers (with gum center)
© 2022 Don