Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms With Roasted Garlic And Bacon
Mmmm....gooey melted cheese, crispy bacon, spicy jalapenos, roasted garlic baked into a fresh mushroom cap for the most amazing and delicious morsel of food that will leave your taste buds screaming for more.
If you love the taste of hot and spicy jalapeno poppers, you have got to try my Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms With Roasted Garlic & Bacon. They are like fireworks in your mouth and are absolutely to die for!
The roasted garlic adds a sweet, smoky flavor to the cream cheese filling that balances out the spiciness from the jalapeno pepper and raw garlic. And of course, everything tastes better with bacon and lots and lots of cheese! If you like them REALLY HOT, leave the seeds intact inside the jalapeno before dicing or add a dash of cayenne pepper to the cheese mixture.
If you are unfamiliar in working with jalapenos, you can read my article on cooking with jalapenos to learn some basic preparation and handling tips.
We serve these a couple of times a month during our weekly dinner parties that we have with friends and family as an appetizer while dinner is cooking. When they come out of the oven, everyone crowds around the pan of mushrooms, piling the juicy and cheesy bites of mushrooms on Ritz crackers until they are gone and the pan is scraped clean. Nobody dares to leave their spot because they know when they return, the mushrooms will all be gone.
I love the little end bits from the chopped stems the best. I chop up the stems and toss them into a corner of the pan and then pile the extra cream cheese filling on top. Gooey deliciousness!
These are my dad's absolute favorite food that he looks forward to eating the most at our dinner parties, so we make sure to include them at least every second week.
Tonight, our gang's two favorite CFL teams, the BC Lions and Calgary Stampeders, are playing, so I am making a double batch of these up as we speak, for us to devour while we cheer for our opposing teams. I am rooting for BC, though I must admit, the part I like most about our football parties is the fun-filled night of good times, delicious food and great friends.
- Cook time: 1 hour 15 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
- Yields: 12 mushrooms
- 12 whole fresh white mushrooms
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 1 head + 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pkg bacon
- 1/8 -1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic to expose the tops of each of the cloves. Place on a piece of tinfoil and drizzle with olive oil. Gather the edges of the foil and scrunch together to close.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until soft and lightly caramelized.
- Squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves into a mixing bowl.
- Turn the oven down to 375F.
- While the garlic is roasting, cook the bacon in a frying pan until it is crisp and done to your liking. Crumble the bacon into bite size pieces and place in the same bowl as the roasted garlic.
- Seed and dice a fresh jalapeno pepper into small pieces, being careful not to rub your eyes or touch your face and make sure you wash your hands VERY well right away.
- Add the softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, diced jalapeno, crushed garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to the bowl and mix until it is blended thoroughly.
- Wash the mushrooms gently with a vegetable scrub brush and remove the stems. Chop the stems into little pieces and set aside.
- Place the mushroom tops upside down in a glass baking dish. Place the chopped stems into a corner of the pan.
- Fill each mushroom with a heaping spoon of the jalapeno popper dip including a generous dollop on top of the chopped stems.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve piping hot with your favorite snack cracker.
© 2013 Corrinna Johnson
More by this Author
Are you crazy for the ooey gooey, creamy deliciousness of Cadbury Creme Eggs? Treat your friends and family to the chocolatey goodness of these eggstra-special Cadbury Creme Egg One Pan Brownies.