4 Reasons to Own a Bread Machine and make Crazy Dough
4 Reasons You Should Make Homemade Bread in a Bread Machine
Whenever I come across something that I love, I want to share it with everyone I know. That’s the way I feel about this Crazy Bread recipe and my bread machine. If you don’t already have a bread machine, or you have one but don’t use it, I’m going to tell you why I think you’re missing out on one of the best time and money-saving small appliances that you can have in your kitchen.
- It's quick and easy.
- It saves time and money.
- It makes your whole house smell wonderful.
- It's an ego booster.
1. Enjoy How Quick and Easy It Is to Make Bread
Most likely, the reason you aren't making your own homemade bread is that you think it takes too long, or maybe the bread won't taste or look good. Rest assured, you can make bread in as little as 20 minutes. You can toss the ingredients into the mixing pan, start the machine, and after about three hours, remove the loaf of freshly baked bread.
It's the quickest and easiest way to make homemade bread. Make loaves, rolls, pizza, runzas, breadsticks, etc. all using the same recipe. Crazy Bread dough keeps in the refrigerator up to a week, so you just need to heat the oven and bake when you want fresh bread, rolls, or pizza.
2. Enjoy the Time and Money Saved
Breadmakers aren't expensive. Did you know that you can buy a bread machine for about $50? Think how quickly it will pay for itself with the money you'll save not buying bread at the store.
First of all, store-bought bakery goods are expensive. It really is much cheaper to make and bake your own. Adding the cost of all the ingredients, it costs about $1.25 to make a loaf of bread in a bread machine. You'd even save more if you used that dough to make pizza or rolls.
Plus, you'll never have to make a special trip to the grocery store when you run out of bread. That saves you the cost of gas and time!
3. Enjoy the Aroma
Imagine your house filled with the smell of baking bread when the family comes home to eat. The aroma and taste of homemade bread are out of this world delicious. Incredible! Use the Crazy Dough recipe to make cinnamon rolls like the ones shown above. When was the last time you enjoyed the aroma of warm cinnamon rolls?
4. Enjoy the Bragging Rights
This bread is so easy to make you might call it no-fail. Your family will think you spent many hours laboring over making bread especially for them. Just smile and say, “Thank you!” while they rave on and on. Then your family will brag to all their friends about what great bread you make.
Crazy Bread Recipe
This recipe has been adapted from the Crazy Bread recipe from Kitchen Nostalgia. The original recipe for Crazy Bread is one that you mix without a bread maker. This makes twice as much dough as the bread machine recipe.
I've cut the recipe in half to mix the dough in the breadmaker and changed the recipe to make it Weight Watchers Points+ friendly.
- 1/2 cup milk or (1/2 cup water plus 4 tsp dried milk), or (1/2 cup fat-free half and half)
- 3/4 cup plain, fat-free yogurt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbls active dry yeast
- In a small bowl whisk the egg, milk, and yogurt until mixed. Heat for 30-40 seconds in the microwave or until lukewarm. Pour into the bread machine bowl.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and yeast.
- Place in the bread machine, and set a timer to remove the dough before it starts baking.
- Place the dough in a plastic bag, squeeze out the air and seal. Place in the refrigerator for up to one week, or you can freeze the dough. (I divide the dough into three pieces, seal them into sandwich bags, and put them all in a gallon sized bag and seal.)
- I use 1/3 of the dough to make a 12" pizza. One half of a 12" pizza crust equals four Weight Watchers PointsPlus. You can completely prepare a pizza for the oven and then refrigerate it. Cover with saran wrap if it will be refrigerated all afternoon or overnight. While the oven is preheating, set the pizza out on the counter. Then bake at 375ºF for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is browned to your satisfaction.
- When making rolls or breadsticks, let them rise for about 30 minutes before placing them in a preheated 375ºF oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.
How to Make Crazy Dough Pizza
- Pat and stretch 1/3 of the Crazy Dough on a 12” round pizza pan.
- Spread prepared pizza or pasta sauce over the crust and sprinkle with Garlic and Herb seasoning (or any seasoning of your choice).
- Add flattened, quarter-sized balls of ground beef and pieces of turkey pepperoni.
- Add drained mushrooms and ripe olives.
- Top with non-fat sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated 375ºF oven for 20-25 minutes or until browned to your satisfaction.
Buttery Crescent Rolls by Taste of Home
These crescent rolls and the recipe for making them can be found at the Taste of Home site. The recipe is for hand-mixing the dough, but I have only ever made them using a bread machine. They are super delicious!
These are the changes I made to make the rolls using my bread machine.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbls, very warm water (not hot)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tsp dry milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbls active dry yeast
- In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water, softened butter, and egg. Pour into bread machine bowl.
- Add flour, sugar, dry milk and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast.
- As the bread machine starts mixing the ingredients, use a rubber spatula to scrape the flour on the sides of the bowl down into the dough.
- Remove the bowl from the machine when the dough has risen high enough to touch the lid. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough in half. Each half makes 12 crescent rolls.
- Make the rolls by rolling each portion into a 12" circle, then cut each circle into 12 wedges using a pizza cutter. Roll the wedges, starting at the wide edge, into crescent shapes.
- Place on greased cookie sheet, about 2" apart.
- Let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 10 minutes, or until the rolls are very lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack.
Little Meat Pies
- Chop leftover chicken or baked chicken breast.
- Add two tablespoons of minced onion, a tablespoon or two of salad dressing and a tablespoon of cheese spread.
- Place filling on one side of a rectangle of crazy dough, fold over and pinch edges.
- Bake in a 375º oven for 20-25 minutes. Spray with vegetable spray while still warm.
Easy to Use Bread Machine
Because I so love making rolls and pizzas using my bread machine to mix the dough, I’m going to suggest the machine which I use. I have the Oster and recommend it because it is especially easy to use. I just remove the dough before the bake cycle when making rolls and pizza. Although I recommend the Oster bread machine, because I know it is inexpensive and reliable, I think it is more important that you purchase whichever bread machine you choose. You’ll love making your own bread products.
Questions & Answers
© 2014 Loraine Brummer