DJ has been making biscuits with his grandma for years and has been improving his biscuit-baking craft for just as long.
Recipe From My Grandma's Childhood
This biscuit recipe is near and dear to my heart. It originates from my grandma's childhood, and she has been making these biscuits all of her life. I learned this recipe from her, and I helped "perfect" it to what it is now. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy these tasty biscuits. On to the recipe!
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use Imperial brand)
- 2/3 cup milk, plus more if needed
- Vegetable shortening (I recommend Crisco; do not use oil)
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Sheet pan (at least 12 inches long)
- Grease the sheet pan by spreading vegetable shortening (Crisco, etc.) on the bottom of the pan, so that the biscuits do not stick.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter by microwaving it for about 20 seconds. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the 1 1/4 cups of flour first, the 1/2 cup of mayo second, and then the 2/3 cup of milk last.
- Mix to form a dough that is thick enough to be handled by a spoon without falling apart. Do not allow the dough to become too thick. If it's too thick, add a little bit more milk. If it is too thin, add a little bit more flour.
- Scoop some dough into a spoon and shape it into a round, flat-bottom form (as shown in pictures below). Do this until the pan is filled or dough is completely used.
- Spread melted butter across each and every biscuit, either by pouring the butter or scooping it with a spoon to layer onto the biscuit dough. Use generously on each biscuit.
- Place biscuits in oven and cook at 450°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Biscuits will begin to rise. Biscuits may start browning at 10 minutes. Do not let biscuits overcook or get too brown, or they will be burnt.
- Once baked, set biscuits out to cool for 1 minute before eating.
Biscuits are also good leftover. If desired, seal leftover biscuits in a plastic bag and store at room temperature. To prepare leftover biscuits, wrap them in a napkin and microwave for 20 seconds.