Minnesota Cooking: Banana Bread - Fifty Stirs - Then Bake
Over Ripe Bananas Have The Best Flavor
Use Over Ripe Bananas
Some people in my household like the bananas when they still are a little green. I like them when the green is ripened to yellow. Still, when the bananas get ignored by all and then, all of a sudden there are blackened bananas on the counter, then, it is time to squish them up and make banana bread.
Oh, you can make banana bread using a yellow banana, but they don't mash as well. I made some banana bread a couple weeks ago, using some bananas that I had to slice into circles. I changed my recipe to use all brown sugar instead of white sugar. That changed the outside of the bread so that it was a caramelized, almost streusel kind of crust. It was yummy, but a little drier than when you use overripe bananas.
I prefer them mushy.
Streussel Topping - Optional
When you finish pouring the batter into the bread pan, add a layer of Streussel topping.
The basic mixture:
1 cup flour
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix together with the softened butter until the mixture has a crumbly appearance. Pour across surface of banana bread batter.
Stir 50 Strokes - That is It!
After 50 Minutes You Can Smell The Bread
It smells sweet and cake like. I don't really smell any strong banana smell but there is a slight touch of banana odor emanating from the kitchen.
i say this because I am sitting typing this at my computer and I am about 15 feet away from the oven.
At 50 Minutes and A Light Smell
How Long Until I Can Bite My First Piece?
Add In This Order - No Exceptions
- 1/2 cup softened shortning
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Iodized Salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Put All In Bowl - Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
- Once all ingredients are in the bowl, stir with spoon for 50 strokes. No more, no less.
- It is probably a good idea to grease your bread pan before you start. I didn't and my bread stuck to the bottom. Scrape all banana bread mixture from bowl into a bread pan. Place bread pan in preheated 350 degree oven. Set a timer for 60 minutes.
- The outside of your banana bread will turn a dark brown. The bread will pull away from the sides of the pan as it cooks.
- Take bread pan out of oven and lay on side on a cooling rack. Let bread rest for a couple minutes before you remove the bread from the pan. I think that this pause helps keep your bread from breaking into pieces when you dig it out of the pan.
|Serving size: 1 slice|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 28 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 220 mg||9%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Someone Else's Version
This Recipe Works With Other Fruits
Peach, zucchini, apple, rhubarb OR whatever pie filling you replace the bananas with.