I enjoy baking for family and friends and will never turn down the opportunity to bake for myself, too.
Moist and Sweet Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This chocolate chip banana bread has been a favorite among my friends and family for decades. I mostly bake it for special occasions, such as when I have guests over, and always receive compliments. Since I know how much it's liked, I have often gifted this chocolate chip banana bread to friends and taken it to social gatherings.
The best part is it's easy to make. Perfect for breakfast, dessert or teatime, you can't go wrong with this recipe!
This chocolate chip banana bread tastes best after being wrapped and refrigerated overnight. It will taste even better if you wrap and freeze it for several days.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas (the riper, the better), mashed
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (use semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips if you prefer)
High Altitude Adjustments: If you are baking at altitudes above 3,000 feet, click here for high altitude tips and adjustments you will need to make for this recipe.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter with a blender at medium speed.
- Add the eggs and continue to blend.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) with a mixing spoon.
- Slowly blend half of the dry mixture into the sugar mixture, add the yogurt, then blend in the rest of the dry mixture.
- Add the vanilla and continue to blend.
- Fold in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips with a mixing spoon.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before gently removing from the pan.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar if desired.
Some Health Benefits of Bananas
Potassium and magnesium help lower your blood pressure, which lowers your risk of heart disease.
Vitamin B6 helps keep your mind sharp and reduces PMS symptoms in women.
Potassium and magnesium help strengthen your bones, thereby reducing your risk of osteoporosis as you age.
They help protect against muscle cramps during exercise.
Fiber helps regulate your digestive system.
They offer an easily digestible source of carbohydrates, which is an ideal energy source when exercising.
What's the Difference Between Baking Soda and Baking Powder?
© 2020 Madeleine Clays
Sp Greaney from Ireland on June 19, 2020:
Chocolate chip and banana cake always a good idea. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Liza from USA on May 28, 2020:
I think it's hard to say "NO" to moist and delicious banana bread like you've made :) Thank you for sharing the recipe.